Gluten free

• 12 Replies

barley

Gluten free
« on: July 29, 2014, 22:32 »
my poor hubby has been diagnosed with coeliac disease ( gluten intolerance ) 

we now will have to make everything as processed super market foods nearly all contain gluten  :unsure:

if any one knows any good biscuit cake and bread recipes I would very much appreciate your help

snow white

Re: Gluten free
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 22:50 »
The dove flour site.  But you can make anything.  Just use dove gluten free flour instead. 

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 22:51 »
It is worth trying some gluten recipes with gluten free flour, I make my normal apple cake with gluten free flour when needed, recipes that are moist seem to be better. Ask to see a dietician as you should not be using the same chopping board/ toaster etc. coeliac website is good too. Has been prescribed breads & cakes,biscuits by the GP?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:00 »
Dont you get the flour and bread on prescription for gluten free?

If so you will be relatively lucky as allergy free/free from food is expensive. We are finding it really difficult as the cost is really high, and now with two of them well..............

I am looking at returning to work with children in my shadow as no-one will have her for more than a few hours and then not over meal times

barley

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38 »
yes BQ & Snow drop/white we have been told about prescriptions , thankfully we are in wales and prescriptions are free

we looked at the gluten free range in co-op the other day ( flipping heck !!!!! really expensive ) so will defiantly be making our own

he still has to speak to the dietician so am asking as much as we can so we can go armed with info

his sister was diagnosed with it 15 years ago , apparently if you have someone else in the family with it there's a 1 in 10 chance you will get it too  :ohmy:

there are so many flour alternatives to choose from , not sure which one to try first  ???

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 13:01 »
My cousin can't eat gluten so I've been using the Dove flour for her - it does have a much more grainy texture in cakes and biscuits. There's a lot of hidden gluten too - soy sauce, spice blends etc, which means reading every packet really carefully.

There are some good-looking recipes here from a N Wales bakery: https://www.juvela.co.uk/recipes/cakes-puds-treats/ Hope they help.  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 13:22 »
My SIL was diagnosed with coeliac and she used to get her genius bread on prescription, but then was told they weren't giving it out on prescription anymore where she lives in Suffolk!

Luckily, since then the doctors have said she is only on the borderline, so she has gone back to eating normal bread.  It was trying to make a decent wheat free loaf that was her problem!  She isn't so much a 'cakey' person!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 15:33 »
There are many different flours on the market and some are better for cakes, some for bread. But as others have said the texture will take a bit of getting used to. My MIL is coeliac, so being a baker I looked into it when she was diagnosed. On top of this the FIL is diabetic so that was another challenge. I can't say for other supermarkets, but the dreaded Tesco have a large range of cakes, biscuits, ingredients, pasta etc, as well as frozen meals in their larger stores.

There is a wealth of info on line, and just punching in what you want to make will bring something up. It can be more expensive than other foods, but bear in mind that mills and factories need to build separate facilities to make gluten free goods for a minority, which is why they tend to be dearer.

As others have said, most authorities give prescriptions for basics, and Wales are pretty good that way.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 15:34 by tosca100 »

Chrysalis

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 18:16 »
Most supermarkets have a good GF range these days.  My OH is coeliac and my sister.  She gets stuff on prescription, but he won't - says it's a condition not a disease and he'd rather not take up NHS resources.  As it's mostly me who pays, it can be a bit expensive! But LOTS of shops have more GF stuff.  Be careful with CoOp and M and S ready meals.  But Asda and Tesco are pretty good all round. Even Asda normal sausages and pork and apple ones are GF.  We don't find it a problem at all and you just have to be careful with cross-contamination.  Get registered with Coeliac UK and they'll send you a book with this year's GF products in. Easy peasy. 

I just use GF flour and GF baking powder, but it's really not a problem, so don't panic! Treat it as a challenge and rise to it. I have normal bread for myself, but all our other things like pasta are GF.  It means we both eat much more healthily.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 18:54 »
Hi

I have used this book to make Gluten free cakes, Millionaires shortbread is a big hit. I had to make it again for a colleagues birthday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/200-Gluten-Free-Recipes-Hamlyn-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B0056969VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407001952&sr=8-1&keywords=hamlyn+gluten+free

I have found making gluten free stuff pretty easy, only made stuff for the lady at work. I found you need to look up stuff which is not marketed as gluten free, but is. Anything marketed gluten free is astronomical in price.

I used chocolate which was marketed gluten free, cost a fortune. Next time, I looked up my normal baking chocolate to find it too was gluten free & a 1/3 rd the price.

Even some cad choc's are gluten free.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 19:03 by spottymint »

LosingThePlot

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:53 »
My youngest daughter (aged 8) was diagnosed just over 18 months ago. We signed up to Coeliac UK and received their booklet which tells you what products you can have or can't have based on gluten. It goes everywhere with us.

In that time, we've noticed how much supermarkets are growing their own product range not to include gluten. Not just the Free From stuff, but their everyday products as well. I think they're cottoning on that there's quite a market for gluten free.

The most difficult part for us is the eating out. While some places say they're gluten free we always have to ask about cross contamination to ensure things are absolutely gluten free. We have an area of the kitchen as well where her food's prepared.

My wife also went on a gluten free baking course where she learnt about substituting different flours and the like which was also invaluable.

If you need any info or any questions, drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

barley

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33 »
thanks for all the info peeps  :)

where did your wife do the course MR L T P ?

We don't eat out much so not to worried about that - it's the home baking that will be a challenge

LosingThePlot

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 00:25 »
thanks for all the info peeps  :)

where did your wife do the course MR L T P ?

We don't eat out much so not to worried about that - it's the home baking that will be a challenge

It was run by a nutritionist from Harrogate under the name Gluten Free Baking & Living. They do courses in Harrogate, Liverpool and London, but a quick google and there's a few out there doing it.

xx
Gluten Free!!!

Started by Markw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 07:30
by Milly
xx
Gluten free flour

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 16:48
by DanielCoffey
xx
Gluten free pizza

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 19:10
by chris23005
xx
gluten free cakes

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 13:47
by Glosterboy

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.