Pelleted Carrot Seed

• 9 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Pelleted Carrot Seed
« on: July 04, 2018, 23:33 »
Our carrots have been a bit hit and miss this year.  I have heard sometimes better results are obtained using "pelleted" carrot seed, as opposed to normal seed.  Anyone had any experience with them, and if so where is a good source of supply please?  Many thanks.

oldgrunge

Re: Pelleted Carrot Seed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 20:18 »
Sorry, I've no experience of pelleted seed. but if it's any consolation, I think most people have had trouble germinating carrot seed this year.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:41 »
I have sown some pelleted seed this year. The beauty is there's no need to thin them as you can space them  accordingly and can be precise as they don't blow away and scatter when sowing. But then you don't get to eat the tasty thinnings, so horses for courses reaqlly!

I'm not sure about better germination though, but as oldgrunge has said, it's been a difficult year this year.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 11:45 »
I tried pelleted seed a couple of years ago, purely because they were on offer!
I found germination very poor. At least with seeds you can thin where necessary and hopefully have a row with no gaps.
My seeds were slow to get going too this year.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 12:16 »
I tried this type of seed acouple of years ago,i found them easy to plant easy to space but the germination was awful,i never did them again.
I would buy normal seed take the trouble to thin them out,much better results a bigger crop which is what we all want,thats why we like to grow our own veg :).Lillileaf

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 16:08 »
I've done well with seed tape from King Seed now for three years in a row, but never used pelleted seed, sorry.

Sorry to hear people have had difficulties with carrot seed not germinating this year though...
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 12:06 »
I think that pelleted seeds need to break through the covering before they get going which works in some cases, but the amount of carrot seeds you get in a packet should be enough if germination levels are poor.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

al78

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 22:12 »
I think that pelleted seeds need to break through the covering before they get going which works in some cases, but the amount of carrot seeds you get in a packet should be enough if germination levels are poor.

Not in my case, even sowing three packets of carrot seeds has so far resulted in about 10 seedlings. As this is 10 seedlings more than I normally get I think it is a case of don't bother from now on.

arh

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 07:39 »
Well, for my pennyworth, I used pelleted seed this year and will never use them again. I sowed 3 rows, popping them in a little (10mm), hole, put water in the hole, covered it up, waited------and waited,----not one came through. finally in desperation, (as they are very easy to handle), sowed 3 rows of ordinary carrot seeds, then as a test, sowed another row of the pelleted seeds, (after soaking them in water for a couple of hours), the ordinary seeds came up, (not as well as I would have liked but I did sow them a little late), and the pelleted seeds ----3 germinated!!!!. So that's it for me.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 20:54 »
Interesting to read about the poor germination, i have had quite successful sowings of carrot varieties this year, not done anything different to usual other than tilled the soil very fine. Tried pellets a couple of tears ago, were unsuccessful, you may have to give them more water than normal seed to help break the pellet material down.

xx
Pelleted Carrot Seed

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 20:08
by Markw
xx
pelleted carrot seeds ?

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 06:54
by DD.
xx
pelleted seed

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 16:47
by LILLILEAF
xx
Pelleted onion seed

Started by davetoddy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 19:06
by davetoddy

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 39 queries.