onions and manure

• 3 Replies

jambop

onions and manure
« on: February 21, 2017, 17:21 »
I have heard it said that onions should not be planted on ground which has recently been given manure as it can promote rotting. Is this really true or a myth? I have some nice very well rotted stuff which I am going to put into the area I intend to plant out my onions later in April. I would be interested in opinion on that subject.

Gellideg

Re: onions and manure
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 18:17 »
I bet you can grow onions like fun where you live!I dig in well rotted FYM in the Autumn and have no rotting trouble as I understand onions should not be grown in spring applied manure.SW France sounds like vegetable heaven to me.Perhaps tatties or sweetcorn or brassicas would use your stock of FYM if you want to get it used up.
   John

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 21:03 »
Hi Jambop, If your manure is crumbly and aged (12-18mo), then there's no problem at all in applying it. I'd do it as a mulch which will be extremely beneficial for all the reasons we uses mulch.... equalise temperatures, suppress weeds, feed the soil organisms, condition the soil (structure)...the list goes on.

My onions grow in it whether it's applied autumn or spring, but i use well rotted stuff in the spring just prior to planting. In autumn it's usually less decomposed and a bit 'wiffy' but it rots down over winter and is fine stuff come spring.

Wishing you a productive year!
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 21:20 »
Gellideg... loads of stuff grows down here with little problem but stuff that grows well in cool conditions does not grow quite so well eg. sprouts, cabbages and other brassicas suffer badly in the heat of summer regardless of the amount of water you lavish on them I am going to try to grow these from late summer /autumn into the winter. Things like tomatoes, melons courgettes, peppers aubergines and just about any other heat lover grow very well. In fact depending on what you want to grow it can be quite difficult peas for example have to be grown in late winter and spring after mid May they just get frazzled in the sun.

Aussie this is well rotted stuff so I think it will be fine. Hope you have a good year and the weather is kind... none of the huge hail that we has last year. Was out in the garden today and turned the soil over with the rotavator... still cold and sticky at the moment but usually after mid March we see the ground becoming more workable.

xx
Onions and manure

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 11:28
by jambop
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 38 queries.