im having problems

• 25 Replies

nzdunn

im having problems
« on: June 15, 2009, 21:00 »
 :( :( Is it just me or do chucks attract flies, we have never had flies before well the odd one of course but the last few days we have had loads, today they were just everywhere on the windows, inside aswell which im sorry but i just carnt do flies like this.   Now i did hang up those flies traps the one with the fly bate in and you add water, just in case but i reckon i have brought flies to me instead, i took both of them down today and i have hung a few fly papers where the chucks are.    Im finding it an ordeal as well keeping everything clean as in the poo, its not the hard ones its those runny ones the flies just swarm down on them, im picking them up and washing the area on the grass with boiling water and then if they do them on the patio i put down jeyes fluid and scrub, im just on a downer, i love them dearly, ive only had them two weeks but didnt realise there was a bit more into keeping them, if the flies dont stop im gonna have to give up on keeping chucks. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(    i need your advice        nickyx

agapanthus

Re: im having problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 21:02 »
Chickens poop and flies love poop!!!  ;)

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 21:23 »
If poop picking is not an option (I don't) and the ground is well covered with vegetation, you could wash it into the ground. If the run is small and well trodden, keeping it dry may be a better option. Some people use shingle as floor covering. If covering the run is a possibility, you could use straw or wood shavings.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 21:26 »
I have farmland right next to my coop, the sheep and cow poop seem to be have a better flavour for the flies  :D

Seriously, I agree with washing it into the ground if you can't scoop it but without making your pen into a pond, certainly helps

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 22:09 »
they are not in a coop, they have a plastic wendy house to live in which is on the back patio and then they have the garden which has been fenced off, half patio, half grass.    nicky

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 23:14 »
You're absolutely right that the runny poos are the ones the flies go for. Of course these are the ones that are hard to pick up. I find a hose or watering can (the water doesn't have to be hot) does the trick - twice a day when it's hot. At least you just have to follow the flies ! ::)
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

nzdunn

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22 »
feeling abit up beat this morning, just was on a bit of a downer last nite for some reason, i think im a bit of a weird person, just have a thing about flies, remind me of death.    So was speaking to hubby last nite and we think we are gonna move the hens down to the big garden, we have two gardens you see, the massive garden is for the kids and the fenced of bit is for the chucks which use to house our dog.    Im probably noticing more flies as the chickens are literally on our back door step..    nickyx

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29 »
Hi nz,
Don't forget extra precautions needed against marauding beasties.  The run will need covering, as well as a skirt of mesh buried 8 - 12 inches around.
Good  luck.
cathangirl

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:23 »
Hi nz,
Don't forget extra precautions needed against marauding beasties.  The run will need covering, as well as a skirt of mesh buried 8 - 12 inches around.
Good  luck.
cathangirl

I think what cathangirl is trying to say is do not forget about predators i.e. foxes and badgers.

If you have a moveable run put a skirt of weld mesh 8-12 inches around the bottom of it and if it is permanent dig down 9iches continue the weld mesh you have used for the fence.

This is to stop foxes or badgers "beasties" from digging into your run.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Caralou

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 11:31 »
I'm glad you posted this as I have been feeling the same about the number of flies and was worried it meant I wasn't keeping the girls clean enough. At least everyone has the same. The duck poo attracts even more than the chook poo as well, which is why i'm glad they are now all together instead of the ducks on the patio (which has just been jeyes fluid cleaned now no animals on it :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37 »
Have you tried a fly catcher?
http://www.redtopflycatchers.net/prod.asp

They can smell even more than the poo so put it near the neighbour that you do not likes fence.  But they collect flies.

Caralou

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:42 »
I'll be giving that a go, thanks Ruff. Only problem is I really like my neighbours.... oh well, I'm sure they'll prefer the smell to the flies  :tongue2:

Caralou

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 13:01 »
Have just ordered 2 from ebay, can't believe these didnt come up with all my googling of outdoor fly traps over the past week. You're a star Ruff  :D

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 13:07 »
All part of the service.

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 13:10 »
I have heard those redtop thingies are brilliant, not used myself might be a good investment though with the hot summer a comin'  :D

xx
Problems between no 3 and no 2

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 22:53
by grinling
xx
More bum problems

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:26
by ANHBUC
xx
egg problems

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:16
by Aunt Sally
xx
Not more problems!!

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 00:11
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 39 queries.