Jeyes Fluid

• 45 Replies

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
Jeyes Fluid
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:46 »
One of the plot holders at our allotment said her husband wanted to cover the intended onion patch with jeyes fluid? I am not one for chemicals albeit a little spray of roundup on the bind weed.  Anyone heard of applying Jeyes fluid????

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Jeyes Fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48 »
If the Jeyes fluid is intended to sterilise the soil, it is not licenced for this purpose. As such it is illegal to use in this way and will kill anything good in the soil anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:50 by arugula »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13 »
i allmost went down that road..as i had wireworm in my tatties,thought that may kill them off,,,but thought better of it,,guess the wire worm wont go away though   hmmmmmmm

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:34 »
I've heard of people dipping their brassica roots in the stuff to stop clubroot. Doesn't sound particularly appealing to me :unsure:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that wireworm can be controlled with garlic water. IIRC it fools them into hatching out of season or something and breaks their life cycle. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40 »
As far as I know -  garlic treatment is for onion white rot.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:45 »
I found one place that recommends it, but not sure if our odd laws allow for it.

http://organic.lovetoknow.com/Organic_Pesticide

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47 »
Jeyes Fluid has its uses, based on the fact that it is highly toxic, which is why its permitted uses are far fewer than they used to be.
It should only be used as directed, especially regarding avoiding skin contact.

Product documentation for Jeyes Fluid.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54 »
I found one place that recommends it, but not sure if our odd laws allow for it.

Jeyes Fluid is an old boys' trick and was used in years gone by.

I couldn't spot it on that site but, as argula has already said, it is not licensed as a pesticide and thus is illegal to use as such.

Neither is it organic as far as I know.  And I'd have strong reservations about the 'tobacco' spray referred to there.  Nicotine based sprays were used by the Victorians and had harmful effects if I recall correctly.  Plus again they are not licensed for that use, or tested etc.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57 »

Jeyes Fluid is an old boys' trick and was used in years gone by.

I couldn't spot it on that site but, as argula has already said, it is not licensed as a pesticide and thus is illegal to use as such.

Neither is it organic as far as I know.  And I'd have strong reservations about the 'tobacco' spray referred to there.  Nicotine based sprays were used by the Victorians and had harmful effects if I recall correctly.  Plus again they are not licensed for that use, or tested etc.

It's the one entitled Garlic Spray. I agree about the nictone thing though. Just doesn't sound right at all.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08 »
Hmm, couldn't see Jeyes Fluid in the garlic spray recipe either - perhaps I'm at cross-purposes with you.

Technically, that spray is also not licensed. 

The main website has a short article which may be of interest.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12 »
No Jeyes Fluid in the spray :D I was trying to recommend an alternative, but not too sure how right I am :ohmy:

I seem to remember reading that garlic somehow fools the wireworm into hatching out at the wrong time (though I could be thinking about some other worm).

I did know about the whiterot thing Mum, just thought it was used for this too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:18 »
i allmost went down that road..as i had wireworm in my tatties,thought that may kill them off,,,but thought better of it,,guess the wire worm wont go away though   hmmmmmmm

You usually only get wireworm if you are growing in soil that was recently grassed. It gets less each year that the soil is cultivated, and you're usually clear of them after 4 years.....

Are you sure it's wireworm rather than eelworm?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52 »

You usually only get wireworm if you are growing in soil that was recently grassed. It gets less each year that the soil is cultivated, and you're usually clear of them after 4 years.....

Are you sure it's wireworm rather than eelworm?

or even slug?

Ema

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05 »
I remember listening to the Sunday morning gardening program on BBC radio Devon and some old guy swore that spaying dilute Jayes on his carrots kept the carrot fly off.

I use jays as a good disinfectant outside but would never use on soil or plants.

good luck with killing off your wireworms

Lottiman

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 14:00 »
One of the old chaps on our site told me that you can use jeyes to control carrot root fly when I first started. I thought at the time that it really didn't sound right  and I'm  not putting that stuff on my veg or soil, no way :unsure:
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 14:44
by sunshineband
xx
Jeyes Fluid

Started by steved on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 13:19
by Trikidiki
xx
jeyes fluid

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 18:49
by Aunt Sally
xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by Dean H on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 09:23
by stompy

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.