Anyone lifting shallots yet?

• 8 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Anyone lifting shallots yet?
« on: June 25, 2017, 14:05 »
Anyone?

Leave them on top of the ground to dry - or take them home and dry outside? Or under cover?

Salmo

Re: Anyone lifting shallots yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 17:13 »
Lifted mine last week. They came away easily when I gave them a tug so I decided they were ready.

I left them on the ground for a couple of days and now they are on wire racks so that the air can get underneath. Give them a bit of a shake up as I go past. When they have dried and most of the skins rub off I will take them home to sit on my shed roof. If I had somewhere undercover and airy that is where they would be. Make sure they are very dry or they will go mouldy.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 22:58 »
Have just drowned five jars full in finest malt vinigar. More to follow this coming week.
May the fork be with you

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 16:00 »
I grabbed a couple as I was out of onions at home. The shallots themselves are looking brown and papery, but the leaves are still strong, upright and green. Now confused as to whether to lift or not.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 15:30 by simonwatson »

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 21:56 »
I pulled mine at the weekend as they were getting a little on the big side for pickling. Just drying them out in the kids play house/ out on the decking when we have sunny days with no chance if rain.

arh

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:43 »
Mine were like yours Simon, so i pulled them and now wish I hadn't. For what it's worth, I would ,(and will next year), leave them until the tops die back. arh.

miggs

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:51 »
Have just drowned five jars full in finest malt vinigar. More to follow this coming week.

I started looking for malt vinegar in the shops yesterday. What type do you buy?

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 11:32 »
Mine were like yours Simon, so i pulled them and now wish I hadn't. For what it's worth, I would ,(and will next year), leave them until the tops die back. arh.

The "Showmen" like to lift them as soon as they stop producing new leaves. At that stage most of them are round. Left until they die back and they tend to grow out of round and not perfect for the show bench.

My test for when they are ready is to give them a tug. If they come away easily they are ready.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 22:33 »

I started looking for malt vinegar in the shops yesterday. What type do you buy?
Large jars of Sarsons. The one who believes she is obeyed adds pickling spice and a drop of brown sugar. One jar does 3 extra jars + the one the vinigar comes in The perfect size for the shedmiesters dangerouse pickle  cages that go to the reletives at Crimble time

xx
Lifting Onions

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 08:57
by Steveharford
xx
Lifting Potatoes

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 08:03
by New shoot
xx
Lifting beetroot

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:05
by jennyb
xx
lifting spuds

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 22:30
by Mash Mad

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 34 queries.