unexpected cold night

• 19 Replies

jambop

unexpected cold night
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:27 »
Hi we had a quite cold night last night got down to about 3C. I went to the poly tunnel this morning and my peppers and aubergines are looking a bit limp. I don't think they have been frosted but the question is will they bounce back from it? The Tomatoes appear to be un affected. It looks like another cold one tonight 2 C so I will take steps to protect the plants cover them with fleece?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: unexpected cold night
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:56 »
According to latest forecasts the cold snap will continue for another week, (worse for continental Europe than the UK, I think ) so use fleece/polysheet/bubblewrap and keep everything crossed.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11 »
According to latest forecasts the cold snap will continue for another week, (worse for continental Europe than the UK, I think ) so use fleece/polysheet/bubblewrap and keep everything crossed.

Had a look at the forecast for around my area and tonight is going to be as low as 2C so will be closing all vents and covering the plants with fleece and hoping for the best. I also have a cold frame that I will put inside the poly tunnel and move some plants into it.
I don't think there was a frost last night but it was windy and from the east  of course I had left all the venting open so the cold air must have shocked the plants. Only the peppers and aubergines seem to be affected the leaves have gone limp but I am hoping the warmth of the day revives them again. I had a look at my spud tops and they do not look as though they have been frosted so tonight I will cover them with a bit of news paper and fleece that should hold back the cold a bit.

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 19:45 »
What looks concerning for those of us further South is the lack of rain, more than the temperature. The gulf stream forecasts tend to be reasonably accurate. We've had virtually no rain this month to speak of, with next to  none of the traditional prevailing souwesterly rain bearing winds. It's set to continue past Mayday.
There's only so much we can do with a watering can. I'm going to have to get up at dawn a few times to hog the water pressure before it disappears by 9am.

al78

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:47 »
What looks concerning for those of us further South is the lack of rain, more than the temperature. The gulf stream forecasts tend to be reasonably accurate. We've had virtually no rain this month to speak of, with next to  none of the traditional prevailing souwesterly rain bearing winds. It's set to continue past Mayday.
There's only so much we can do with a watering can. I'm going to have to get up at dawn a few times to hog the water pressure before it disappears by 9am.

Assuming you mean the jet stream (the Gulf Stream is in the Atlantic ocean, not in the atmosphere), I agree with the lack of rain here in the SE. It is getting tough to dig out the weeds in my clay soil. I have a bed of overwintered field beans and rye that need cutting down and digging in, I will probably have to use my rotavator to do this, the soil is getting so hard in places it is very difficult to get a fork in.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:15 »
It has been quite dry down here too but we are going to get some rain next week... it can rain very, very heavily down here!

I don't know why but this site screws my computer big time. Sometimes it just hangs and I have to go to the task manager to be able to get out of it !

gobs

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 20:11 »
It's snowing in a couple of days time...
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Christine

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:47 »
Yes we have snow and sleet in the forecast for Monday evening and into Tuesday with cold weather all week. Most of my items in the greenhouse are at seedling stage and back in the house. Bit cluttered but I'll survive and so will the plants.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20 »
No snow forecast here but some low overnight temperatures next week.  All the really tender stuff is indoors and the greenhouse and cold frame will be fleeced. 

Seed sowing has come to a halt as I am out of space until stuff moves on, but its only a few more days.  Pointless  worrying about it - most of what I what I wanted to do are fast growers like beans, squash and sweetcorn and they will catch up  :)

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 16:13 »
I was very surprised on a walk round our allotments (Poole, Dorset) today to see all those with spuds above ground  have got frost-blackened and wilted tops.

The optimists with runner beans already 6" high will be replanting.

Be warned.

arh

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 16:53 »
Replanting is no worse that waiting to plant.

victoria park

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 18:02 »
1.5c in greenhouse last night. Another degree colder expected tonight. Potatoes earthed up and greenhouse tomatoes and chillies fleeced. Everything put down at ground level where it's a degree or two warmer. Should be ok.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 18:07 by victoria park »

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 20:30 »
0 degrees forecast here for tonight and tomorrow, and then 2 degrees which isn't much better. I've been fleecing and netting and covering up with old hay....putting down anything that might get in the way of frost for about 10 days now.

The potatoes are lifting the hay up to ever dizzying heights as they grow! The leaves on my Acers have been shrivelled by the heat/cold/wind/sun (take your pick).

Add to that we have had no rain at all for a month - and this is Brittany, the bit of France like the west of Ireland where it is always damp. Some farmers are sowing their maize under transparent plastic this year to try to conserve what little moisture is left in the soil to help germination. The water levels in the rivers and streams is really low too.
Then add to all of that the daily damage by field voles....I'm getting to the end of my tether and we've hardly begun!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 21:17 by Deborah1 »

gobs

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 21:00 »
Replanting is no worse that waiting to plant.

Emotionally might be so for quite some, but factually it's a waste of time, effort and money(seeds).

gobs

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 21:01 »
I got soaked in heavy sleet today. Forgot me coat... :mad:

xx
Unexpected cold victim; rhubarb???

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2022, 03:11
by Subversive_plot
xx
Mature tomato plants facing short-term cold snap (7 C dip at night)

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2023, 22:02
by mumofstig
xx
unexpected veg!

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 22:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Unexpected hot weather

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 00:30
by SkipRat

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 40 queries.