Pepper plants

• 21 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Pepper plants
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:34 »
Hi all,

My pepper plants are up they are about an inch long.  I've been thinking of a way try to stop them growing too laggy.
I need them to go into my unheated grennhouse asap as the wife wont let me have them on the window seals at home.  I've got quite a few mirrors of the same size at the plot, so I was wondering if I were to surround them with them and cover with plastic that would give them enough light from all direction and hopefully enough heat to keep them growing without stunting them.

What's your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

victoria park

Re: Pepper plants
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 09:48 »
You might be a degree colder than where I am, but I already have my Anaheim and cayenne chillies in my cold greenhouse, and I do the same every year. They are double insulated with a plastic dome over them with fleece wrapped round underneath. By far the best place for them, and my early sungold tomatoes too. If proper freezing temperatures are forecast for one night I put extra fleece over the dome just for that night to be on the safe side. Never had any problems. Windows are contentious areas  :D

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 20:28 »
Thanks might try that myself, I've got one of those put together small greenhouse I might try them in that.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24 »
I always transplant them a little deeper too, same as tomatoes, which helps deal with any legginess. Your mirror plan sounds interesting, Dantheman
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 20:21 »
You might be a degree colder than where I am, but I already have my Anaheim and cayenne chillies in my cold greenhouse, and I do the same every year. They are double insulated with a plastic dome over them with fleece wrapped round underneath. By far the best place for them, and my early sungold tomatoes too. If proper freezing temperatures are forecast for one night I put extra fleece over the dome just for that night to be on the safe side. Never had any problems. Windows are contentious areas  :D

this sounds interesting. have you got any pics? do you use polythene or bubble wrap to make the dome? have you got any idea what sort of overnight temperatures you achieve?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 11:52 »
Mirrors reflect light, so if you surround the plants with them, you will surely block out all the light. But why use mirrors outside in the first place? March is a difficult month. Not enough good light, and poor temperature, especially at night. I start seeds off on the kitchen windowsill but the modules are then moved to the conservatory. There they  grow slowly but they don't get leggy.
My solar panels have produced the lowest electricity this February for 5 years. That is how poor the light has been recently.
Clocks go forward in 4 weeks.

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 12:44 »
See piccie below from 3 days ago. The sungolds are starting their 2nd proper leaves after the cotyledons, having been sown on 8 Feb.

They're cheap bought domes, but a propagator with lid would obviously do just as well. I think it important to add a bit of fleece around the base.
I have a max/min thermometer in the greenhouse, and the lowest so far since the tomatoes/peppers were installed has been 0.5 degrees inside the greenhouse, not much different than from outside, but crucially protected from winds etc. Inside the domes/propagators, the temperatures stay 2 degrees higher. Another degree, maybe two if you're lucky, can be added if the plants are put on the heatsink greenhouse floor, but then there are other issues to contend with. During overcast days with, say, 7 degrees outside, the greenhouse manages anything from 12 to 16 degrees. On sunnier days, it's up to the high twenties, far more favourable than at home. The greenhouse stores a bit of daytime heat, and the lowest temperatures only last for 2 or 3 hours.
The tomatoes don't sulk or get stunted, just obviously slower growing than their later cousins. I appreciate that these type of plants don't like extremes of temperature later in the season, but tomatoes/peppers, while seedlings, seem to be more resilient to low temperatures for a few hours around 4am than some people give them credit. They don't sulk like sweet corn or commit hari kiri like cucumber. As usual, last year the early sungold plants were just as healthy and productive as the later plants, but started harvesting on 21 June, a full 23 days before the later sown seeds, well worth the extra effort. The chillies follow the same sort of time difference. I'm not quite so clued up on the sweet peppers though.
greenhouse domes.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 13:06 by victoria park »

arh

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 14:34 »
Victoria, could you please say where, (and when), you bought the domes from. They would be handy in my garden room and I could use them to harden off seedlings. Thank you, arh.

victoria park

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 16:04 »
I wish I could tell you arh. I can't remember where, although 3 for £6 odd rings a bell. Homebase,or a budget wilko sort of place. This is their 3rd year and they have lasted well.
I've looked for more but can only find the more outdoor solid plastic domes at 3 for about £11. I like these as they spring back to a flat pack for storing when not in use. Bu they are lightweight and cannot be pegged down, so indoor use only really.

Twitch

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 16:20 »
I built a hot bed in one of my tunnels for my early peppers, chillies and toms, not the best built structure but it’s doing its job.
The peas love it too

:)

http://www.apcforyou.co.uk/hot.jpg

http://www.apcforyou.co.uk/toms.jpg

http://www.apcforyou.co.uk/peas.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 16:35 by Twitch »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 16:26 »
I built a hot bed in one of my tunnels for my early peppers, chillies and toms, not the best built structure but it’s doing its job.

Electric powered or manure?

Twitch

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 16:30 »
Manure, it took about three weeks to get warm, but it's still going strong

Gellideg

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 18:26 »
Pr4esumably the hot manure will give off ammonia.How do you cope with that?

Twitch

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 19:04 »
Pr4esumably the hot manure will give off ammonia.How do you cope with that?

Haven't noticed a smell, don't spend a lot of time in there. Plants seem fine
It isn't exactly an air tight space either

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:26 »
LED grow lights are now very reasonably priced, they work fantastic, my chillies go in soon as the decs come down in January and live in a small grow tent with the LED lights on for 12 hours a day and they have a more consistant temperature.
The piccy is from last year but this years are very similar

The first pic is the grow tent, this is 3x2 so not large.
You can see the two lights I have, the square light is a less powerful one, the the one with the fans on is a 300w and this is used to grow them on once germinated.

The second picture is a cayenne which has been grown under lights, you can see how well this has developed.
grow tent.jpg
cayenne.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Pepper plants....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 13:30
by Ice
xx
Pepper plants

Started by jezza on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2023, 23:46
by mumofstig
xx
Pepper plants

Started by andrewambleton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 20:02
by strangerachael
xx
Pepper Plants

Started by fluffypebble on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 20:03
by emmalm

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 37 queries.