What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 01:31 »
Hi all, I picked up my key yesterday afternoon and finally got to see my plot.
It needs some attention but not too much which i'm pleased about.
Anyhow, i pulled up the old runner bean plants and structure, cleared all the polystyrene cups thats were all over the plot and quite a bit of other stuff too so just a general tidy yesterday with a view to doing a bit more today.

I have some pics so will be posting them when i can find my data cable for my phone.

Andy

Good to have a nice large space... I miss my plot and especially the chance to get away for a few hours to somewhere quiet. Will you have a shed for a cuppa out of the wind?

(These days my veg plots are just over the road - a minute's walk away but I might dig out my camping gas cooker for later in the year. Must clear the shed up first.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:33 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 18:26 »
I didn't have the energy for digging the plot today, but I've been pottering at home.  Seed potatoes are now set up for chitting.  The onions and welsh onions are pricked out into modules and I did a bit of seed sowing.

Patio aubergines (I know I'm going to regret this but they sounded so good  ::)), cabbage Heart and summer savoury are on the windowsill.  The aubergines got a plastic bag as extra insulation.  I also got some aquilegia, some dianthus and some sweet peas going.  Apart from the aubergines, all this is pretty tough stuff and is going into the blowaway in the greenhouse once it has got going.

I also sowed a couple of big tubs of peas in the greenhouse.  I've done an early crop of mangetout before, but these are a dwarf variety called Bingo, which are supposed to be great for containers.  They were 50p seed sale bargains, so worth a punt  ;)

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 22:05 »
Did a seaweed run today.

Andy.

Mum2mj

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 13:05 »
I actually made it to the plot today which is no mean feat as I have 3 kids 7 and under (they stayed at home  :unsure:)
As soon as I got there it started raining but not enough to put me off.  I'd say about 1/2 of my plot is weedy and overgrown, I dug over less than 1sq m but filled an entire sack with bind weed  :(
But I also managed to clear a couple of paths and put some cardboard down.
Barely any of my plot is defined so my aim over the next few months is to mark out the beds and paths and have a section for my kids to play safely in.

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 14:55 »
Did a little clearing, lifted up the last leeks and heeled them in yesterday, it was bitterly cold up there.  After a light frost its becoming a little milder today so i began laying the new path from the shed allow me to get around the plot after fencing and replacing last year.     Soil under foot very heavy at the tope end where him doing the work.   

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 21:52 »
Cleared out Brussel sprout stalks from one raised bed, broccoli from another. Harvested some leeks for lunchtime soup. Seriously sticky underfoot today, rain stopped any further preparation.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Paul Plots

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 16:35 »
Mild and warm enough but the soil doesn't want standing on.. squishy.

I keep peering at my purple sprouting from the path... I am impatient to be cutting a few shoots.

snowdrops

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 17:02 »
Had a walk round & that's all. Some of the other plots at the bottom of the site were waterlogged 😞
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2017, 11:50 »
At last, some sunshine! Dug up some leeks which have survived the subzero temps. Noticed they've got leek moth damage even having been under enviromesh since last May!
Picked some sprouts which have been super this year. I put this down to digging in a mountain of horse manure over the last 2 years.
There are now quite a lot of vacant plots on our site...I wonder if the enthusiasm for allotmenteering is waning?
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 03:07 »
At last, some sunshine! Dug up some leeks which have survived the subzero temps. Noticed they've got leek moth damage even having been under enviromesh since last May!
Picked some sprouts which have been super this year. I put this down to digging in a mountain of horse manure over the last 2 years.
There are now quite a lot of vacant plots on our site...I wonder if the enthusiasm for allotmenteering is waning?

I'd not be surprised if price increases caused by poor weather in Spain and Italy to veg in the shops doesn't see a surge in interested new allotmenteers!

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 17:56 »
Sowed cut and come again lettuce in greenhouse...I will help the shortage :D

victoria park

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 19:23 »
Rehung the greenhouse door that blew off. The birds were able to get in and munch some of my overwintering peas, but they'll survive. A cloche also blew off some outdoors overwintering peas, but again ok. 
Eased and pulled out some couch roots in and around the raspberries.
Harvested some greenhouse lettuce, a couple of parsnips, kale, sprouts and the last of the rainbow beetroots.

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 00:33 »
Rehung the greenhouse door that blew off. The birds were able to get in and munch some of my overwintering peas, but they'll survive. A cloche also blew off some outdoors overwintering peas, but again ok. 
Eased and pulled out some couch roots in and around the raspberries.
Harvested some greenhouse lettuce, a couple of parsnips, kale, sprouts and the last of the rainbow beetroots.

Was it windy? I know the forecasts said it would be (sometime or other) but not noticed it here.  :ohmy:

Today I put 90 shallots into cells and plonked the lot in an unheated greenhouse.... I know they can be planted straight out onto the plot in mid February but I like to get mine shooting and plant when the weather's warmer and sunnier.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26 »
Got some wood from the dump to mark out a few beds to make the plot look tidy. Harvested some leeks and celeriac.  Purchased seed potatoes from the local Horticultural Society shop.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Andrew.

StephB

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 13:00 »
Tackled the disaster that is my polytunnel today.

Didn't manage to do anything with it during 2016 as was nursing my father in law through Cancer treatment.

Its not too bad in there, but alot of weeding and digging in of horse manure to be done.

I haven't sowed anything yet.  I hate trying to manage seedling on windowsill in the house and guessing it's still too cold even in the polytunnel to get sowing.  Please correct me if i am wrong.

Tired now and sat having a cup of tea in the house.  Not sure if I will go down again today.  I should do though as have tonnes of work to do before the season starts properly.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 55 queries.