What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #465 on: October 01, 2017, 18:08 »
went down today for a quick visit as I haven't been for ages and the weather was supposed to be awful.

3 hours later... ::),,,,dug up the last of the (disappointing) spuds, a few butternut quash and a couple more pumpkins.  weeded the whole patch and strimmed the paths. 

watched some new lottie holders clearing their patch :) but saw them drink more tea than dig :lol:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #466 on: October 01, 2017, 18:53 »
Gathered the last courgettes and removed the plants, with help of OH turned compost into newly empty bin, that compost having been used over cardboard on an empty bed. Collected more apples, perp spinach, carrots, french beans.  Amazed by the carrots, they were barely even weeded and left under unsupported mesh to avoid root fly. They are perfect! Various leaves I sowed a few weeks back looking very good. Looking forward to a change in wind direction as I need a bonfire, although we have had the plot 6 months there is still a lot to clear.

peter and jean

« Reply #467 on: October 02, 2017, 18:32 »
More digging today. Started clearing another bed. I have also discovered a huge pile of fresh wood chips and lots of delicious mulch. After speaking to a bloke I learned that is just the ticket for my heavy clay soil. So more digging in manure and mulch. The more the better he told me
20171002_153450.jpg

rowlandwells

« Reply #468 on: October 02, 2017, 20:34 »
the ground is still a bit wet after rain over the weekend thankfully we harvested our potato crop last week

I brought another load of horse manure down the allotment  I'm going to spread manure on half the plot before I winter plough I like to leave it as long as possible before I winter  plough still got my raised beds to clean and dig got to  plant some spring cabbage plants I have grown in pots

still have plenty to do before winter sets in  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #469 on: October 08, 2017, 20:05 »
In the garden I cleared the greenhouse of all the tomato & cucumber plants. The compost is still there for another day, swept up down one side of & then moved the staging to there. Will empty the compost another day & then get it washed down.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 18:34 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

candygold1

« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2017, 16:24 »
not been up for a couple of weeks so lots of weeds to sort out due to the still mild weather, dug over one large bed after removing the courgette plants. planted some elephant garlic. need to cut the grass at the weekend cant belive how quick its grown,

peter and jean

« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2017, 18:25 »
I fetched loads of manure to dig in and some mulch to put over the top. Ordered some raspberry canes so I've got to dig the trenches for those. Most exciting of all our Japanese onions have made an appearance. 😊
20171011_112444.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #472 on: October 12, 2017, 18:37 »
Went to view a free shed I’ve been offered to replace my rotten one 😄, it’s bigger than my old one too, looked in ok condition so said yes please thank you very much. He’s says all being well he’ll clear it at the weekend & then I can get it sorted & moved, needs a bit of repair but hopefully not too much.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2017, 20:04 »
Oh great result Snowdrops  8)  Free is everyone's favourite price  :)

I dug up all the remaining spuds today and then dug the area over, plus did some other harvesting.

Aled

« Reply #474 on: October 13, 2017, 09:55 »
We're supposed to have a dry weekend. I'm pulling up the last of my beetroot!
Cheers
Aled

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #475 on: October 13, 2017, 11:10 »
First posting so I may get it wrong! Went to the Lottie and dug the first parsnip. Took 10 minutes to get it out of the ground - its massive. I think I will be feeding the street this weekend. Tomatoes keep producing - but Sungold are now running out, worse luck.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57 »
First posting so I may get it wrong! Went to the Lottie and dug the first parsnip. Took 10 minutes to get it out of the ground - its massive. I think I will be feeding the street this weekend. Tomatoes keep producing - but Sungold are now running out, worse luck.

Sounds like you got a result with your parsnip growing Dev.  Welcome to the forum  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #477 on: October 14, 2017, 18:25 »
Did about 4 hours today, so feeling a bit weary now  :lol:

Planted overwintering onions, shallots and garlic, then did loads of clearing and filled 2 compost bins with greenery.  Harvested a few more squash as the plants had given up the ghost.  I'm not convinced they are fully ripe, so they are on the benches in the greenhouse for the next few weeks.

snowdrops

« Reply #478 on: October 14, 2017, 18:35 »
Lots, harvested the squash, cleared the plants to the compost bin, cut down & composted yet more sunflowers,saving some heads for daughters chickens,cleared some of the climbing bees, left the borlotti on as it’s supposed to be nice for a couple of days so they can dry a bit more as nature intended, bit of weeding,picked a punnet of raspberries

miggs

« Reply #479 on: October 15, 2017, 20:35 »
Cleared one of the beds of a few weeds (not that many to be honest), then finished digging it over. The other half was dug over, over the past couple of weeks removing the spuds. Then applied a covering of "Clay breaker" on the freshly dug area, will need another box of the stuff for the remainder. Cleared some Toms to the compost bin, ready to dig over the area so I can plant some Raspberries, never planted them before, already looking forward to them.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 54 queries.