Bramley Apple & companions!

• 7 Replies

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:47 »
Just planted my Bramley Apple tree. There is a "Katy" near by which has never done very much (flowers but pea sized fruit)but I think it may be the same flowering period as the Bramley. Now I know that we probably need another apple tree for the proper pollination but I don`t have that much space.
What I was thinking was perhaps planting one of those dwarf apple trees that have been grafted with different species of apples and wondering if one of them would be compatable with the Bramley (if there is such a thing). Any advice?

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:16 »
Hi we have katy apple tree and had lovely fruit last year -we have James grieves which is a pollnator for Katy see this link of pollinators suitable for Katy -if you havent much room perhaps a cordon apple tree?

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2b2_apple.asp

Hope this helps -I dont know that much just a bit of trial and error Im afraid! :D

gobs

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:42 »
They are not the same flowering period, but close enough to make do. You don't have a pollination problem as you describe probably due to someone else's tree nearby, 'cos I think Katy is also sterile. So, don't think you need any more trees, really.

Katy said to be a very prolific cropper, this can effect fruit size, so thinning can help under normal circumstances, but what you describe, I'd think is excessively small apples and suspect some disease as the cause.

That said, you have to be sure you had your tree from a reliable source and don't have some decorative crab apple there. Not taking the mick. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 14:01 »
Well  "Katy" has been in so long I`ve lost the original info and Katy just sounded familiar! She also has some scab on the branches....should really dig her out but the apple blossom is just lovely
No other fruit trees in the area. Nearest one is a wonderful Winter Gem which is about 70mtrs away.(mine)
But it`s this Bramley which I need to sort out for all those fruit pies apple crumbles and not to forget the apple sauce to go with the free range organic pork!

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 14:01 »
Well  "Katy" has been in so long I`ve lost the original info and Katy just sounded familiar! She also has some scab on the branches....should really dig her out but the apple blossom is just lovely
No other fruit trees in the area. Nearest one is a wonderful Winter Gem which is about 70mtrs away.(mine)
But it`s this Bramley which I need to sort out for all those fruit pies apple crumbles and not to forget the apple sauce to go with the free range organic pork!

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 14:26 »
Keepers Nursery have a very good site that tells you pollination partners.
See here and click on the link at the bottom for suitable pollination partners.

It appears that a Bramley needs two (different) pollination partners. Katy is suitable, as is Winter Gem. As Gobs says, they are not the same flowering period but close enough.
Martin

gobs

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 18:37 »
You well collected seemingly 3 self-sterile apples. So you are sorted, if you get crop on Winter Gem, too it does not matter what Katy really is, it's working you need no more trees for pollination. :)

Whatever up with Katy, it seems to work as a pollinator, crab apples would also do, don't plant Bramley too close, just in case. :wink:

vegikev

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 19:39 »
hi i work on a fruit farm and the bramley orchard we have has golden dels pollenating 1 end of the orchard and the other end has a mix of katy and discovery pollenating . to be honest the bramleys are all as good as each other regardless of which end they come from. every year they have a very good crop, my advice is golden dels for bramleys, cox, charlse ross and spartan. good luck
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

xx
Bramley Apple

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 17:11
by lacewing
xx
Bramley apple

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 23:06
by tode
xx
Bramley apple.

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 20:46
by DavidT
xx
bramley apple tree

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 21:57
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 39 queries.