Potatoes

• 12 Replies

Anton

Potatoes
« on: March 29, 2015, 10:24 »
Fellow gardeners,

I prepared my soil about a week ago for my early potatoes but there have been biblical rainstorms ever since, so I would just be planting into mud at the moment. Is it getting a bit late now for earlies (my book says last two weeks in March)?  Another question, if you don't mind, I see on another topic there is a discussion about holes versus trenches. I have always planted my potatoes with a trowel. Is it worthwhile half-filling the holes with compost, placing a potato on top and covering, or is there no point to this, so I should just mix the compost in with the rest of the soil?
Third question, I can see my wife has bought too many seed potatoes (seconds as well).  Will the surplus-to-requirement ones be edible, do you think?

Anton

Ivor Backache

Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:55 »
This March has been one of the coldest and darkest months for some time. It is not too late to plant.

Trench or trowel is a personal thing. I trench to get all my compost back into the soil.

Yes they are edible, but who would want to eat spongy potatoes out of choice. See if you can get some flower buckets and plant your earlies in them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:25 »
I don't suppose there's a great deal of difference between different methods of planting seed spuds, or of adding compost - what suits you will be fine, and adding any compost will always be better than not adding any.

I dig a wide and fairly deep trench, chuck some compost in, and lay the spuds in a zigzag pattern on top, then partly fill in, adding some dried chicken poo as I do so. Then I put netting over the area to stop the foxes digging them up again!
It's a slightly unusual method, but suits me because the soil is light (easy to dig), the compost goes where it will do most good, and it saves space compared with planting in two separate rows, and space is limited where I am.

As for when to plant, now is about in the middle of the range of dates I've planted them over the years - yes, it would be nice to get them into nice warm soil, but it isn't, so I haven't.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 12:39 »
Hi Anton I raised your question re eating seed spuds whilst visiting a potato day in January. I was warned off by being told that the seed spuds could be chemically treated in some way so unwise to eat??

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 13:09 »
My earlies won't be going in for another week or three yet.  Plenty of time  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 13:20 »
As Yorkie says, there is plenty of time for earlies, we have successfully cropped from ones planted in June.

"Early" does not refer to the time of season to plant them, it refers to their shorter growing period to maturity.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Anton

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 13:33 »
Thanks very much for all your very informative answers.

Anton

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 15:43 »
As Yorkie says, there is plenty of time for earlies, we have successfully cropped from ones planted in June.

"Early" does not refer to the time of season to plant them, it refers to their shorter growing period to maturity.

Just planted mine today - in between showers.  It is probably the earliest I would plant any potatoes up here - as DD says, they can go as late as June if necessary.  It was good to get them in the soil, mind  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 11:01 »
I've always used a trowel because, even in my raised beds with added topsoil etc, I can soon dig down to subsoil and it works for me. I don't chit either, in fact, I haven't got my seed pots yet but am doing this week.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 14:26 »
mine are all still chitting away early s and main crop. Might get them in on Monday or maybe now :D

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:58 »
About your comment on surplus-to-requirement potatoes being edible, second earlies will store for a bit. I had some Charlottes (seconds) in December and they were still OK for my purposes.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 18:09 »
About your comment on surplus-to-requirement potatoes being edible, second earlies will store for a bit. I had some Charlottes (seconds) in December and they were still OK for my purposes.

Mine have been known to store in the ground until March  ::)

chillimummy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 18:41 »
I'm hoping for dry weather over the weekend to get my potatoes and broad beans in and move strawberries from trough's at home to plot. 
Weather here in Bradford has been so hit and miss and freezing!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
potatoes

Started by oldtimer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 16:03
by DD.

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 40 queries.