allotment site gates and locks

• 18 Replies

TTG

Re: allotment site gates and locks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 12:15 »
My parents neighbourhood watch had an article in it by the village bobby (who was then living in the vilage police house before it was closed and sold off). He was suggesting plants to grow to deter the burglar. The one I like, but can't remember the name of, was a thorn bush, tree or climber that had prominent thorns (could be a type of euphorbia) that once it scratched someone it forms nasty red weals that take ages to heal and disappear. Apparently a lot of burglaries are carried out by known offenders, especially up in semi rural areas like our. That means the police can just keep an eye out for the first one of them with those red weals and arrest them. Kind of a deterrent and a security marking.

I know someone who put thorn branches on top a fence to deter cats. It worked, kind of, the cats still walked along the fence but kept putting their paw down and picking it up quick when they hit another thorn. Eventually they get so far and give up after a lot of pricks.

We have tow sections split by a pedestrian walkway. One side has one gate which is padlocked the other has a padlocked gate one side and the other is a small wooden double gate with only a catch latch on one side and a ground bolt on the other. So it is secure with a chainlink fence about 1.4m high around 3 sides with a steel frames gate with the same chainlnk in it and oneof those square openings around the slide bar bolt which is locked with a padlock. The padlock is always jamming up so I just use the other gate and don't need a key. We don't really have any problems with theft I think. Probably something to do with a lot of houses overlooking it with a lot of people elderly in nature walking past it during the day. Plus some retired people with plots who tend to be there a lot and the commitee member who lives overlooking it. aGood site even if it doesn't have a water supply.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 19:10 »
The allotment  im on is 60 plots all about 17 poles. It in the middle of nowhere next to the back road out the village, no one is ever going to walk past (unless there going to walk 3 miles to the next village, its the only thing in that direction) and its sunken down behind a 6 foot hedge, and barely visible from the road, and theres no through paths.

Perfect, no one knows we are there, and theres never been a theft there in 35 years.

Timebandit

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 21:46 »
We have an unlocked 5 bar gate that must be shut on exit and after entry . no locks or chains , though we do have a private sign ... that seems to work ( fingers crossed )  :blink:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04 »
Big double gates one end, single one the other - all locked with padlocks. Surrounded by 3m high fence with barbed wire on the top, surrounded by houses. People still get in though. So far they haven't nicked much.
Oooh that sounds good.  We have been trying to improve security round ours by putting very thorny hedge cuttings along the outside of the fence.  They might get in but they'll be scratched to bits!!

When planting new hedges we tend to go for Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Hazel and Dog Rose. Nothing is coming through an established hedge made from that only a brush cutter or chainsaw. They also make good cattle Fedges.
Thanks
Kris

xx
Door locks for alluminium greenhouses??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:00
by Bobby T
xx
on site security cameras

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 11:06
by Kristen
xx
New Allotment

Started by dobby on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 20:43
by noshed
xx
Allotment Power

Started by jcbuz1970 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 13:57
by Etheldreda

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.