A serious question that may actually be the stupidest question you've ever had!

• 7 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Ok I have a small area to grow veg and no room for a greenhouse and the window sills are a no no the wife would kill me so it's sow or plant straight out.

Here's my conundrum and question If I was to buy a roll of heavy duty polythene I am able to fashion up a canopy high enough of the ground that I cant draw back as needed to act like a mini greenhouse as my garden is also shaded till about 12:00pm.

would there be any benefit in this or is it wasting money?

So how frugal is frugal

The best way to learn is to ask this may be the silliest question you have seen but the idea is sound or is it?  ;)
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure that what you were proposing would help, but why not buy a few cloches, to provide a warmer environment in spring.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Sort of. Can you bounce sunlight around, ie: paint walls white? it will work to a fashion but if the plants are in shade, and they need lots of sunlight (peppers for instance) then they wont grow as well as those in sunlight all day.
Polythene will go brittle as it can't stand the effects of UV unless you purchase the stuff that is UV stablised which will of course cost more.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
If you are prepared to spend money on 'heavy duty' polythene,which in itself is not cheap, why not also go the bit further and buy some lengths of 2"x2" timbers and make yourself some decent size,sturdy cloches. Spreading out a large piece of polythene is going to be tricky, especially when the wind gets up. Another possible way is to buy the clear corrugated plastic sheets and simply bend them over the ground and peg them into place. Dont worry about not getting sun until noon,there are plenty of veg that will handle shade for part of the day.
people talk rubbish

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Thanks guys just something I wanted to bounce around to be honest I thought it was a stupid question but seem it's not the stupid after all  :) The cloches sounds a good Idea thanks guys.

Bill

Edit:

Just checked out some corrugated sheeting online seems quite inexpensive so will pick some up soon.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 17:16 by billathome65 »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Firstly, I have been looking at this site for a while now and have never seen a stupid question...

Secondly, there are mini greenhouses available which are not much bigger in area than 2 or 3 seed trays, but are 3 or 4 ft tall, with shelves.
Would you have room for something like that? They are usually made of metal and polythene. I think they would have to be placed against a wall in a sheltered position to stop them from blowing over.
You might even be able to make one with wood.

Ma and Pa Snip

Secondly, there are mini greenhouses available which are not much bigger in area than 2 or 3 seed trays, but are 3 or 4 ft tall, with shelves.
Would you have room for something like that? They are usually made of metal and polythene. I think they would have to be placed against a wall in a sheltered position to stop them from blowing over.

I think they might be the sort of thing that there has been, errmm how can I put this,  ahh yes, "a rather interesting exchange of views" on another thread.  :D
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Totty

Last year, i had no greenhouse. I needed somewhere for seedlings, there fore found a really cheap secondhand childrens wardrobe, the type that is made from lightweight timber and covered with fabric, removed the fabric and covered it with polythene that was attached by tacks. Worked a treat, cost me a tenner.

xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
Pea question

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 15:05
by DD.

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 37 queries.