Christmas dinner produce - what you got?

• 25 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Christmas dinner produce - what you got?
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:01 »
What are you putting on the table this year then?  We don't do parsnips or sprouts and I'm probably not doing turkey either, but that's just me  :lol:

I have my eyes on a beef joint and am planning our own spuds as roasties, cabbage, mashed swede and perhaps some broad beans from the freezer.  Christmas pud is not a favourite here either, but I have lots of fruit in the freezer I am debating using.  Perhaps rhubarb semi-fredo, or something with rasps or pink currants.  I also have plum brandy and raspberry vodka for a post dinner snifter with a nice coffee on the side  :D

Its a modest list, but its all mine and I grew it, so I'm more than happy.  I bet others have a substantially more varied offing though  ;)

Aled

Re: Christmas dinner produce - what you got?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:05 »
New Shoots that's far better than my list, I've got parsnips only!
Cheers
Aled

madcat

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 11:31 »
There's only 3 of us, so not going overboard.  But there will be home grown pots, parsnip, sprouts, apple at least to go with a duck.  Mum has pickled red cabbage which she and OH like, and made the mincemeat, and I will make stuffing balls with hg onion and something else to jolly them up.  The chestnuts will have to be bought.  Afters is homemade Christmas ice cream ...

PS - anyone know when we might get flashing Christmas smilies??
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38 »
This year we have spuds (obviously), carrots, leeks, 3 types of cabbage, 2 types of kale and some broccoli. Pickled beets and onions for cheese course as well. Various  herbs, spices and garlic etc. No Brussels though, can't  stand them, yuk!   :ohmy:

Pretty pleased, as this is the first year in my new garden.

Ps - plum brandy and raspberry vodka. A very MERRY Christmas  round yours then new shoot  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:51 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Christine

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03 »
Spuds, last few parsnips, last few swedes, few leeks - unless they get eaten beforehand. There's beans and peas in freezer. Club root spoiled the greens else there would be some. Be better next year as I know where not to grow the brassicas on the two allotments. 

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:16 »
Spuds, mashed and roasted, swedes, mashed with butter and black pepper, parsnips, roasted, carrots, choice of either runner beans, broad beans or peas from the freezer, possibly leeks in cheese sauce if I have time.  I know that's loads of own veg but I don't eat meat, although the rest of the family do, so, by popular request it will be leg of lamb as nobody really likes turkey. 
Pudding is either Christmas pud, or French lemon tart with either home made custard or home made vanilla ice cream.
The jury's still out on whether I'm going to do a starter.  If one is "requested", it will doubtless be prawn cocktail or baked camembert with home made bread.

I've just exhausted myself by even thinking about it.

Aled

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 13:30 »
New Shoots that's far better than my list, I've got parsnips only!
Cheers
Aled

Forgot to mention that I have my own pickled onions, so my Christmas stilton, will be accompanied by home made pickled onions!
Cheers
Aled 

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 18:06 »
do I feel hungry or do I feel hungry reading these replies what a feast I could come to your house at Christmas because it all good grub

you know traditional Christmas used to be a thing to look forward years ago because it was food that was only on the table at Christmas you can have turkey any time of the year now so other meats of fish are also on the Christmas menu

we used to have cockerel at Christmas because my dad used to rear quite a few of then for selling at Christmas talk about feathers and guts but when it was stuffed and served on the table god that was lovely

you can't beat all that home grown veg on the table at Christmas saying I grew that :D                   

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 19:32 »
Well I’ve got tiny garlic cloves if we should need them, plenty of parsnips, a few paltry leeks if they last that long, still got beetroot in the plot with some carrots if they survive this arctic blast & I spy with my little eye some decent looking sprouts for the first time in years. There cavelo Nero & some others but I need to get in the brassica cage for a good rummage. There’s raspberries & other soft fruits in the freezer. Plus a very goodly array of jams & pickles & jellIes and also some elderflower gin & crab apple gin & brandy to try,which are firsts for me. Oh & there was some parsley on the plot last time I looked & there’s sage in the garden. So I think thatlll do nicely
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 08:09 »
I think we've managed the lot this year. We have:

Spuds (for roast & mash)
Carrots
Peas (first harvest always frozen for Christmas)
Parsnips
Sprouts
Parsley, sage, thyme & onions for the stuffing
Strawberries for the trifle (some don't like Christmas pud)

Not used but available sitting in the plot will be:
Swede (those in the know will be surprised at this)
Savoy and January King cabbage
Leeks

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:35 »
I think we've managed the lot this year. We have:

Spuds (for roast & mash)
Carrots
Peas (first harvest always frozen for Christmas)
Parsnips
Sprouts
Parsley, sage, thyme & onions for the stuffing
Strawberries for the trifle (some don't like Christmas pud)

Not used but available sitting in the plot will be:
Swede (those in the know will be surprised at this)
Savoy and January King cabbage
Leeks

DD, if there were no peas on your homegrown Christmas table, the disturbances in the force would be felt forum wide   :ohmy:

And on the subject of swede, I have big proper swedes this year, the like of which I have never managed before  8)  You may be the pea god, but after I go harvest one and present a piccy on here, I shall surely be known as the swede princess - well at least until next year when I revert to growing twisted, mangled specimens that look like they would scream when pulled up and scare folk when I post pictures  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 11:31 »
Now I have scraped myself off the floor because DD has swede (and yes, I shall be in contact as no, I don't have any again) Our Christmas table will have:

Parsnips
Potatoes
Red Cabbage with Apples
Sprouts
Leeks with Thyme
Parsley, Sage & Onion for stuffing
Carrots
Yacon (That's a "first" but it will be lightly sauted in butter with a dash of garlic, yes, our own garlic too)
Runner Beans from freezer

Always feels good to be able to provide for the family meal in the depths of Winter. There are also lots of preserves for hampers and boxes, which will clear quite a lot of space on the garage shelves  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 14:59 »
Brussels Sprouts
Parsnips
Baby carrots will be picked from patio pots.
Leeks
Broad beans that were frozen specifically for eating over Christmas. Will also be using some runner beans and peas from the freezer.
Have some frozen turnip mash that may come out.
Choice of differing potatoes from potato shed. But will probably choose the Mozart for roasting with the Turkey.
Have some new potatoes growing in a small tub outside, so will be new potatoes to eat over Christmas. Long time since I have grown potatoes for Christmas and had a look the other day and they are doing great.
Sage and Parsley added to the stuffing.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 15:04 »
We as a family have Sprouts Cauliflower spuds leeks Parsnips cabage and pickleed onions. All grown by my 9 year old Grandson on his first plot. (ok its a small bit of my allotment and he has had some help ) But and it is a big but. He has done the majority including some of the best weed removal I have ever seen so this year is the year Sam provided the veg for three seperate festive feasts. Well done that young lad
May the fork be with you

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 17:26 »
Well done that young lad

You're not kidding! Well done Sam  :D  That is quite a feat at 9 years old  8)

xx
eating my own produce for dinner..yay! :)

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 12:05
by Broadhaven
xx
Another one for the Christmas dinner list.

Started by SAMANTHA MOLLY on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 06:18
by Rangerkris
xx
New Potatoes for Christmas Dinner

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 09:41
by matron
xx
so how do I get my sprouts for Christmas dinner??

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 18:57
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 51 queries.