new look pressure cooker

• 13 Replies

chrissie B

new look pressure cooker
« on: March 27, 2015, 18:50 »
Just spotted one in my mag 99 pounds makes allsorts and is digital .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

8doubles

Re: new look pressure cooker
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 16:36 »
That will put Bertie Bassett out of buisiness then ! :)

Honey65

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 17:48 »
ooh..have been wanting one for ages but have a tiny kitchen and too many things already.  What will you use it for?  (I'm looking for justfication to add another gadget basically  :tongue2:)

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 23:37 »
Good one there ,
ive never had a pressure coocker the old ones used to scare me at school in cookery class, had visions of the nobbly bit on the top blowing off , the new ones have pre set programmes.
Chrissie b

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:52 »
Pressure cookers are the bees knees. My mum had one that used to frighten the life out of me, but the new designs are totally safe so long as you replace the gasket when required. I bought a set of two with one lid but really I wish I had two lids for them, they're so useful. Meat is a total shock when you have it from a pressure cooker for the first time: I expected it to be stringy and not very appealing, but it comes out as tender as could be. I regard a slow cooker as a gadget and a pressure cooker as a kitchen essential!

My go-to chicken stew goes like this:

Brown some floured skinless chicken joints (bone in) in a pan (you can use the pressure cooker, but I try and keep the fat content down by doing it in a separate pan). Sweat an onion and a leek or two in the pressure cooker while peeling some carrots and potatoes. When the chicken is browned all over to your liking, add 250 ml (the minimum for my pressure cooker) of water and a stock cube to the pressure cooker, stir and then add carrots and potatoes. Rest the chicken on top of the vegetables. Bring to high pressure and cook for six minutes. Move the pan to a cool place and leave the pressure to release naturally for ten minutes or so. When released, open pan, add a bit of mustard to the gravy if you like it and stir in. Stir in some peas (cooked or even tinned) if wanted. Serve. All told, 25 mins or so from from opening the fridge to picking up your knife and fork!

There are loads of really good websites for pressure cooker recipes but here's one I use a lot:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

This is what we're having for lunch today:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/hasselback-pork-roast-with-apples-coppa-sage/

(I use thin-cut streaky bacon cut in half instead of the coppa and rather than wine I use a mixture of water and apple juice.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:58 by Snoop »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 14:31 »
Thanks for that link, its good to take a fresh look at using the pressure cooker. 
I have had one ever since I started cooking but have used it less since microwaves have come along.
The strawberry jam recipe looks good and the ricotta cheese too..
My instruction manual is a loose leaf file nowadays, I have to keep it in an envelope to stop it falling apart.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 14:32 by Annen »
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 16:47 »
If you like rice, you have to try the risottos. Amazingly quick easy to do and no constant watching to see it doesn't catch or to keep adding stock and stirring. I don't bother doing them any other way now.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:43 »
Pressure cookers are fantastic in my view. I make stock with mine in 30 minutes from chicken carcase after a roast.
Then make soup again in the cooker in approx 20 minutes (10 mins to get to pressure 10 mins cooking). Also use the stock to make risotto. Have a full size one and a little one just dedicated to making curry.

If you haven't got one go check them out. Also use to make jam.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 09:12 »
I have 2 but only use them for making marmalade in bulk. I have both going together.

You have to remember not to cook fruit on a high pressure as it will kill or seriously reduce the pectin content.

I don't use them for jam as I make most from frozen fruit and it doesn't need much cooking.

I don't use it for anything else, but I am interested in things you are using it for.

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 12:42 »
Have a full size one and a little one just dedicated to making curry.
Cheers HH

I've read that pressure cookers are really popular in India for making curries. Have you got any recipes for pressure-cooked curries you could share or a recipe book you'd recommend?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 13:35 »
This thread reminded me of the strawberry jam recipe in the link on one of the posts. So I have made some this morning, but I'm not convinced of what pressure cooking saves in jam making. On my recipe it is only 2 minutes pressure and about 20 minutes standing in front of a hot cooker which doesn't seem that different to the old way. :( ::)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 17:36 »
Hi snoop I just google for recipes rather than use a book. ( pressure cooker curry) Key point is that you get much shorter cooking times whatever you cook. You can therefore use cheaper cuts of lamb/beef and get a good result.

Cheers HH

LotuSeed

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 22:02 »
This thread reminded me of the strawberry jam recipe in the link on one of the posts. So I have made some this morning, but I'm not convinced of what pressure cooking saves in jam making. On my recipe it is only 2 minutes pressure and about 20 minutes standing in front of a hot cooker which doesn't seem that different to the old way. :( ::)

I don't think it saves any time lol. And as someone else mentioned, the high temps can mess with the pectin. (I think it breaks it down).
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 23:00 »
I will say it is the best set on a jam that I have ever made, I think and it was a no pectin recipe, just strawberries and honey.

Oops! sorry for diverting the thread from pressure cookers to jam! :( ::)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 23:02 by Annen »

xx
Pressure cooker or slow cooker

Started by GraciesGran on Kitchen Natter

20 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 08:52
by Lardman
xx
new cooker

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

34 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 11:22
by chrissie B
sad
Slow cooker pot glaze

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 21:53
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Prolex slow cooker any good?

Started by Madame Cholet on Kitchen Natter

20 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 21:24
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 35 queries.