last years potatos re-appearing

• 28 Replies

prakash_mib

Re: last years potatos re-appearing
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 21:45 »
I was about to ask this question today. I've seen today people leaving the volunteers to grow.
are they seriously bad or just dont worry about them at all?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 21:46 »
In my experience definately NOT seriously bad at all Prakash. 
Cheese makes everything better.

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 23:56 »
If you leave them to grow they may be a source of blight for the proper crops that you and your neighbours are trying to grow.

Hoe them or dig them out, however tempting a bonus crop is. Also be on the lookout for potatoes regrowing from compost heaps, your or your neighbours, that might also cause blight later on.

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03 »
Potatoes which carried blight the previous year have long turned to mush and it's highly unlikely volunteers are carrying it. If anything, they're probably more resistant.  It's something you need to consider with some caution whether or not to let them grow but panic isn't needed.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 04:26 »
Leaving mine to grow  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 06:01 »
I agree with Salmo in as far as these volunteers can carry blight. You only have to look at the blight outbreaks to see how often this happens.

Problem is, removing them would often destroy what you're trying to grow. In my case the mangetout would have been sacrificial.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 07:55 »
I personally get rig of them,
You are ruining your crop rotation, if you leave them to grow you might as well not bother with it.
What is the point in buying virus free spuds if your going to let something grow that may have a virus after the winter, and what about build up of pests.
This advice seems to go against all the other advice given  :nowink:

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57 »
Isn't it strange,
  We all go to great lengths earthing up and fleecing our current seaons crop of potatoes in an attemt to protect them from the frosts and still the foliage gets nipped at yet the foliage of previous years volunteer  potatoes always seems to grow lush and green without any  protection ???
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

bigben

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:17 »
I have planted some of those mutant spuds for the first time this year - so I now know what to expect - thanks for the photo DD.

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 10:35 »
Isn't it strange,
  We all go to great lengths earthing up and fleecing our current seaons crop of potatoes in an attemt to protect them from the frosts and still the foliage gets nipped at yet the foliage of previous years volunteer  potatoes always seems to grow lush and green without any  protection ???

All my spuds planted this year have died with frost, the volunteers are doing great with no damage at all. Survival of the fittest and all that? Would that go for viruses as well? I will have to leave mine in with the caullis as its all i have left  >:(
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

JohnB47

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08 »
I have some volunteers too - coming  up in my over-wintering bed of garlic and onions - not very convenient. I'm hoeing them off as they appear.

I noticed that the volunteers appeared above the surface much later than all my other spuds planted this year. Perhaps that explains why they're less likely to be frost damaged (although thankfully we've not had any late frosts down here - yet).

fatbelly

Re: last years potatoes re-appearing
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13 »
Each year I get volunteer spuds and always hoe them off because I don't want them spoiling what I am growing.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54 »
I've got 'volunteers' in my turnip bed and growing in my compost bin from where I tipped the compost from the potato tubs I used last year....soooo annoying! >:(

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 11:57 »
I agree with Trillium, my volunteer potatoes last year were better than the ones I planted. ::)
I've been pulling the shoots whenever I see them.  I think I'll let them grow now.  There is a particularly persistent lot in the carrot bed!

Just a thought:  I only got my plot last year so the pots I put in were planted in August for Christmas Dinner.  I am sure they were Maris Peer.  So if these volunteers have been in the ground since August, will they be harvestable before the April-planted first earlies? 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 14:23 by PennyS »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
shallots appearing

Started by moz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 16:42
by DD.
xx
Unwanted spuds appearing....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 15:31
by Auntiemogs
xx
Black bits appearing on sweetcorn seedlings??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 20:11
by Hampshire Hog
xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 12:35
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.