Advise Please

• 13 Replies

parson

• Experienced Member
Advise Please
« on: May 20, 2012, 16:41 »
We went out with t he dogs today leaving the chooks happily scratching away in the garden. While we were out though mister fox paid a visit. Of our 5 girls 1 is missing, 2 are dead, and the other 2 are alive.
   Only thing is, although they are alive, they seemto have had a major shock and scare. They are unsteady on their feet, and stumbling about. We have checked them over and they have no visible injuries.

What do you think, will they pick up?

kegs

Re: Advise Please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 17:49 »
That's awful, I'm so sorry.

It's happened to a few people recently and so long as there are no obvious cuts or broken bones the chickens all seem to have made a recovery, albeit after a few days of being in shock.  You could try adding poultry spice and ACV to their food and water which might help.  Good luck and I hope you find the one that's missing.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 17:54 »
So sorry to hear about your chooks.  :(    If they have some peace and quiet they should get over the shock unless there is some internal injury.  It won't do any harm to try the poultry spice and ACV either.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 17:59 »
I would bring them into the house in a cardboard box(with ventilation holes) towel base and keep them warm, quiet and covered. Make sure thy have access to water and food and give them some poultry tonic if you have some.
I came across this recipe for chooks in shock:

Start feeding your birds but also have their ordinary feed and fresh clean water available at all times: if it has not been fully eaten with in 12 hours throw it out... make another one the next morning.. don't add to it.. clean out the dish it was in also before adding the new mixture

Each serving consists of

1 x boiled egg yolk… crumbled into mixture….. give the whites to the other hens mixed into their seed or pellets (depends a lot on the size of the egg yolk)

1 small teaspoon honey…. .given for energy, only a small teaspoon

2 x tablespoons plain live  yoghurt…. Given for calcium and also to make the intestine go back into normal

2 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats or Rice Baby Cereal (easily digestable)…. To give substance to the feed, and they are easily digested by the bird also putting less stress on its system, when your birds become sick they find it difficult to digest grains

1 dessertspoon of beef tin cat food…… Not dog food …… the bird needs extra protein not carbs

2 tablespoons of grated apple and grated carrot…. .. do not just cut it up .. it must be grated for easy digestion…. Grated Apple is really good for any ailing bird

Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny

I brought my hen into the house when she was in shock although some people advise leaving them shut in their coop, it's up to you but good luck.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 18:01 »
Thanks for your replies.

We found the missing one. She came stumbling out from under a hedge. She hasnt been so lucky, she has bite marks on her neck and under her wing. Just puncture wounds though, she must have been in its mouth. All 3 are now safely in the run, will put them in the coop early tonight.

And will give them a wee pick me up tonic.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 20:25 »
Glad the missing one returned  :D

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:46 »
I would give yourself a wee pick me up tonic as well. So sorry :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:46 »
Clean and treat the puncture wounds; infection from bites is often a killer.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 22:21 »
Well they're still hanging on. The 2 uninjured ones are looking a wee bit livelier, still not back to thereseves though.

The one with the injury is looking a bit better too, still unsure how she'll do, though we're giving her all the time she needs.

We've been giving them your tonic jhub, thanks for that.

ehs284, the 1st thing we done was treat the wound, and puffef antiseptic powder all over the punctures. OH is going to check it and clean it tomorrow.

Cross fingers for the 3 of them.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 19:40 »
I do hope your girls make a full recovery. How traumatic for you all  :(
I do exactly the same thing. Go out and leave mine free ranging in the garden but I'm having second thoughts now. I thought they'd be safe during daylight hours. how wrong can you be.
Got everything crossed for a speedy recovery for you.
Anne

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 20:05 »
Fingers crossed for you all.
One thing which recurs in similar stories (both forum and personally recounted) is that foxes make strategic plans based on observations. If the fox sees the people go out with two dogs, it knows that there are no more people or dogs at home. If it sees the person arriving home at 6 then letting the chooks out and going back into the house for an hour then it knows that it is safe during that hour. No doubt they are opportunists as well. This suggests that there must be observation posts from which the fox can see the relevant places. Perhaps a look around shrubbery etc in a circle around the house might be worthwhile. If you've dogs, they may show lots of interest in sites used.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 20:10 »
It must be an awful thing to happen and I do sympathise but this story pops up on here every week. 

I don't mean to be unkind but people don't seem to be fox proof- I don't know why people don't do that....
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54 »
I don't mean to be unkind but people don't seem to be fox proof- I don't know why people don't do that....

Easier said than done! We have mesh alround our garden and cant for the life of us work out how the blighter is getting in. We have woods at the back of our garden and as far as we know there are no holes. Our 2 terriers cant get out, we're scratching our heads at it.

On a plus, all 3 of the girls are showing great promise. They are starting to show their usual cockiness again. The one who was bitten (we have started refering to her as knecky!) is even donig OK, pretty sure the 3 of them will be fine now. Our black rock who had a wee limp (from fluttering up away from the fox and landing awkwardly we think) is still limping and hopping, but apart from that is bright enough.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 20:04 »
Good news about your recovery.  I stepped on my hen's wing - she was right behind me when I stepped back - the guilt!  She was fine within a week.

Is it weldmesh or chicken wire around your garden - is there a way for Foxy to climb over?

I put loads of effort into foxproofing and found a cat in my garden recently - I didn't do it that well then did I!

xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 10:16
by Foxy
xx
Any advise welcome

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sassy
xx
Advise please

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:19
by ANHBUC
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.