Advise please

• 5 Replies

Bren200

Advise please
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:52 »
Hi, my husband as got 3 rhode island red fertile eggs from a family member who as been breeding for years. We have a hen that as been broody for nearly 2 weeks now, which I don't mind just let her get on with it. My husband wants to put these 3 eggs under her so she can hatch them. Would it be ok for her to do this as she shares the coop with 6 other hens ? We have 4 nesting boxes only 2 get used.we was thinking of useing a nesting box that ain't used so it don't upset the rest of the hens. If the eggs hatch will it be ok to keep them all in the same coop & run ?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Advise please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 13:09 »
No expert here, but if they successfully hatch wouldnt there be a risk of the other hens attacking chicks if kept together, and wouldnt there be the possibility of the eggs getting mixed up with new lays when broody leaves the nest to eat and poo.

Bren200

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 13:22 »
No expert here, but if they successfully hatch wouldnt there be a risk of the other hens attacking chicks if kept together, and wouldnt there be the possibility of the eggs getting mixed up with new lays when broody leaves the nest to eat and poo.
The eggs we have are Marked so they will not get mixed up.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 17:33 »
As said sometimes other hens will attack chicks but not always.  It would be best if you have something set up for when the chicks hatch just in case.

You also need to consider where the nest box is as chicks will easily fall and injure/kill themselves. ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Bren200

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 18:40 »
As said sometimes other hens will attack chicks but not always.  It would be best if you have something set up for when the chicks hatch just in case.

You also need to consider where the nest box is as chicks will easily fall and injure/kill themselves. ;)
We are going to get a broody box/hutch, put it in the run with the others. My husband is going to make a run to put the box/hutch in it so the chicks won't fall out. Thank you for your help.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 21:19 »
My pleasure.   ;)

xx
Any advise welcome

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sassy
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 10:16
by Foxy
xx
Advise Please

Started by parson on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 20:04
by nerdle

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 37 queries.