Watermelon sprouting

• 11 Replies

soaplady

Watermelon sprouting
« on: April 03, 2008, 15:11 »
Hi All,

I have germinated my watermelon seeds in my propagator, and now they are up what do I do with them? I know I sound so stupid, but I am not sure if it would be too early to repot them and bring them indoors, or leave them where they are in the propagator until they are bigger, they have only just come up over the last couple of days, and look a little fragile. After I have repotted them (when they are ready), could I then grow them on in a growbag or would they need more soil. Packet is a little scarce with info, and I have never grown anything like this before.

Also the greenhouse we have is covered in bubble wrap from the previous owner. Do I take it off for the summer, or just leave it on constantly?

Thanks for any advice

Soaplady

nobby

• Experienced Member
Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 15:15 »
dont know much about watermelon but defenetly take off the bubble wrap as soon as it gets warmer

Scribbler

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 16:31 »
This weekend's going to be cold apparently. You could take the wrap off in a couple of weeks, or take half off now and the rest then. That way you'd have a sheltered end and a normal end. How big are the pots? I've started my butternut sqashes in yogurt pots which are too small...
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

soaplady

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 17:05 »
Hi,

The watermelong seedlings are in toilet roll halfs. I thought I would try them out after reading posts on here. They have come up really well, and I thought once they are a little bigger I could put them into the four inch square pots I have bought from Instore.

Thanks for the bubble wrap advice, will take it off middle of April. It must have been on there for years, as if you rub your hand over it, some of it flakes away.

Soaplady

gobs

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 19:26 »
Toilet roll halves... rather large plants and seedlings, that resent being transplanted early on, I'd pot them up into your pots as they are, quickly, as roots can be massive within no time at all.

The 4 inch pots, depending on depth should be OK for a month or so, keep checking for roots growing out of pot. :lol:

Once germinated, all sorts should really be out of there. But they shall need a warm place, if your gh get cold at night, don't leave them there.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Scribbler

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 20:49 »
Yes - I should do it now. Perhaps even cut down the side of the bogroll and remove it before potting on. That way they'll be able to stretch and feel more comfy!!

gobs

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
Yes - I should do it now. Perhaps even cut down the side of the bogroll and remove it before potting on. That way they'll be able to stretch and feel more comfy!!

I'd think, that's a very good idea, I never grow them things in a bog roll, you see, so I'm a bit reluctant to pass comment, but I should think it a load of effort for a seedling to come through, so it is confined till that rots down, however many weeks that takes, I've no idea... :shock: Might be more than half the growing season though. :roll:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 21:34 »
I cant wait to see if this works out, please keep us updated soaplady
:-D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

soaplady

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 13:03 »
Hi Again,

Thankyou for all of your advice. I have transplanted my seedlings this morning, I could not believe the roots were out of the bottom already.

I have brought then inside now, and will plant them in the growbags when they are bigger.

Soaplady

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 13:25 »
Soaplady, can I ask, did you do them in a heated or unheated propogator ? And did you buy the seeds or just use ones from inside a melon ? I am fascinated by the thought of growing a melon !
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

soaplady

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 10:02 »
Hi fibilou,

I bought the seeds from the Realseed company, and put them into a heated propagator. But, to be honest, I had them in the greenhouse for about  a week before I asked for advice on the forum, and once I put them into the propagator they germinated in a day.

I have never tried growing melons before, this one is watermelon, and my other seeds are for a little melon, can't remember the name, but I am going to sow them at the end of April. I will grow them in the greenhouse, than goodness I have got an internal waterbut in my greenhouse, otherwise I would be having a nightmare trying to get enough water to the watermelons, they drink a lot I would imagine.

Don't know about using seeds from a bought melon, perhaps someone else on the forum might be able to advise you.

Soaplady

gobs

Watermelon sprouting
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 18:28 »
You can try seeds from a shop melon, but two things: fruit needs to be really, really ripe for seed to be viable and if it's imported from so and so, the variety won't be suitable for growing here. Not that many are at all. :wink:

You need some protection for most all summer.

I germinate them on a warm sunny window sill. And would advise you buy some seed or ask for some spares in swap forum.

xx
Watermelon outside

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 16:23
by Dopey113
xx
Watermelon not growing

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 10:48
by Ema
xx
Growing own watermelon

Started by Df79 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 18:18
by Subversive_plot
xx
watermelon help required

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 36 queries.