Help! Prolapse

• 15 Replies

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
Help! Prolapse
« on: June 25, 2010, 14:58 »
I've just discovered that one of my hens has had a prolapse :(.  Odd because we've not had an egg from her in weeks.

Has anyone here had an experience of this?  I've isolated her, and am about to wash the area, but I'm not really sure what else to do.

Thanks

Casey76

Re: Help! Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 15:29 »
From another similar post:

Hi unfortunately prolapses are very serious, and often have a bad prognosis.

How long has she had the prolapse?  If it has been days rather than hours you need to see a vet.  However if it is new there are several things you can do.

Bring her into the house, and examine the area carefully.  Hopefully the prolapse will be moist and free of injury.  If this is the case then you can smother the area in Preparation H (yes, the haemorrhoid cream!) and put her in a small box withwater and grain.  The box must be DARK.  At this point you need to prevent your hen from laying, and a dark, draft free environment, is the simplest solution.

You can keep her in the box for a couple of days, taking her out twice a day to check the area for infection.

If any infection develops, or indeed, it the prolapse is dry or is injured at the time of examination it is a vet job, and again, may have a poor prognosis.

Lastly, how big is the prolapse?  When did you first notice it?  Was it after you picked her up?  Before you picked her up did she crouch for you?

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 15:56 »
I am sure she didn't have it this morning.  She's a bit bald round the bum at the moment so as soon as I saw it, could see something wasn't right.  I'm not sure how big is big, but it's not bright red and once I washed it, it popped back in easily enough.  I can't remember if she crouched, but probably not, they don't like being picked up so generally its not that easy. 

I have covered it in prep H and put her in a covered crate in the hall.  I really don't want to keep her too long from the others, as they all seem to be narky at the moment, and won't need much encouragement to bully.

TeaPots

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 16:22 »
good luck. Mine just re-prolapsed after laying each egg, and in the end they both had to be culled. One around Christmas time, the other was last April. I did notice that both hens were on the small side compared to their siblings. Dunno if its a factor, but I worried they were in pain, and couldnt be putting it back in every day! It would soon get massively infected.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 17:45 »
Unfortunatly prognosis is never good with a prolapse, as i found out 2 weeks ago, as it happened to one of my ducks, i spoke with the vet and they said the easiest thing to do is to dispatch them as it never normally goes back. If you are going to have a go at pushing it back make sure the area is clean and use some kind of lubricant oil or someing similar.
Good luck
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 20:07 »
It's been a few hours, and I've just checked on her.  It's still in, so fingers crossed it will still be in tomorrow morning.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 00:14 »
Best of luck Maccbean.  I've not had any luck with this condition either though not seen it very often either. 

The anus can also prolapse too particularly if they have enteritis.  Does she have a mucky bum? 

It is possible to stitch them but getting a vet who's able and willing to do this might be a problem.

Short of this you are doing the only thing you can.
HF
Truth through science.

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33 »
Well it's over 12 hours and it's still in.  Yes, she does have a mucky bum.  I'm going to wash her up again and smother her in gentian violet, put her back with the others and keep an eye on her.  Looking at your comments, all I can do is hope for the best. 

I just don't understand it, we've not had an egg from her in weeks, and I've had a good feel, there's nothing inside.  I thought it was caused by straining.  Does anyone know what else causes it?

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:36 »
We had a hen that developed a prolapse last August, she survived until January this year, but never laid an egg again.  We used prep H on her bum for several days and cleaned the area with dilute saline.  Not sure if her final demise was anything to do with the prolapse though.

Good luck with your hen.

Edited to say By the way, our hen's prolapse was to do with laying, she had been laying huge eggs for a while before it happened, also the other hen was feather peckign her and this may have exacerbated the prolapse.  Do be careful about putting her back with the others if there is any sign of blood, sadly hens can be quite vicious towards each other and if she has any blood in the area she is at risk of the others taking bits out of her whcih of course won't help her heal.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:40 by North Devon Dumpling »

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 10:29 »
There is absolutely no blood on her, and she now is very purple.  I've just put her back with the others and so far they don't seem to have noticed that she was missing.  Fingers crossed.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 10:34 »
I hope she pulls through Maccbean!! :)
All lives are precious.

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 11:20 »
 :( I had to have felicity put down only a few weeks back sad yes but better than her sufferung.

I do however have fingers and toes crossed for your girl

marygall

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 19:17 »
My little dumpy had a prolapse with her first egg; could your girl have been laying away? sometimes they don't lay in rational places at first.
I used anusol and she's been fine, I get about four - five eggs a week from her at the moment. I believe there's more chance of a recovery with a first egg prolapse; fingers crossed.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 22:11 »
Any news on the hen????

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11 »
She seems absolutely fine.  Everything held in and no pecking, perfect!  We'll just have to see how the weeks go on, but I have the feeling all will be good!

xx
Prolapse

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 16:30
by kegs
xx
HELP!! what causes a prolapse

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:48
by joyfull
xx
Please help! Prolapse

Started by LilRed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 16:54
by LilRed
clip
Prolapse

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 16:53
by nerdle

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 39 queries.