Wasp nest in the ground

• 9 Replies

Trees

Wasp nest in the ground
« on: August 21, 2018, 22:02 »
I am hoping someone can help me please...
I have just taken my first ever plot on and it is completely over grown with massive weeds.
My friend offered to help for the day and we got to work straight away.
It soon came to a stop as he hit on a wasp nest that is in the ground. They was very angry and he was covered and stung a number of times and we had to leave.
I had been told to get the powder to kill them.
Has anyone else here came across the same problem?
I am worried there will be more nest as it is a decent sized plot, but so over grown I can't see if there is anymore wasp further up.
Any help at all would be appreciated.Thank you 

Debz

Re: Wasp nest in the ground
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:44 »
Mum's had them a couple of time in her rockery so we just squirted some powder into the entrance and let them take it in.  We never discovered how big it was.  On a positive note, it'll soon be winter and they'll die off anyway.  You have to decide whether you can work round them and leave that bit to tidy once it's cold or get rid now.  If they've calmed down, sit for a wee while on your plot on a nice day and you'll soon see where there is excessive wasp activity.  They are busy this time of year so come and go all day long.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:52 »
Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he feels better soon.

Regarding the wasps; as it is late in the season they will be producing next year's queens just now and the nest will naturally die off, so you have an option of leaving the allotment alone for a month or two and going back afterwards.  Of course, you'd have to let your committee know that's what you were doing and why otherwise they might think you are lazy and you are probably raring to go now, especially with the warmer weather we are having.

The other option is to have the best destroyed.  Personally, I'd call in a professional to do this even though I'm a bee keeper and I have the suit etc, because I'd want to know it was done quickly and right.

In the spring, on a well tended plot, you are much more likely to notice a small nest and it can be dealt with asap without much difficulty, but as you have found, once they get established they are dangerous and scary.

Whichever option you pick, I hope it doesn't cloud your view of allotments.

Su

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 15:08 »
To add to this subject. I just got chased off my plot after being stung multiple times by angry wasps 😢. These are nesting in my strawberry raised bed.  I have been working at a safe distance with them all season with no problems.  Today was different.  They were more mobile I noticed so I worked well away from them. Not far enough for their liking    The first one I noticed went under the back my hair and into my hat. I took my hat off carefully but the wasp was in my hair by now. I flicked it out but that’s when I got attacked.  I got wasps round my neck and head and down the back of my tee shirt   They were stinging me the whole time.

I retreated away from my plot, flicking my neck as I ran. I got a wasp on my finger end but luckily it didn’t sting me there  I calmed down a bit and skirted round to my shed. There was a wasp in there so I swat the beggar, packed my bags and cleared off. The wasps were all over the place   I waited a bit before getting in the car 😤

I got home and checked the damage. About five stings on my neck, one on my head near my ear. 

I just wonder when they’re going to clear off.  I’ve steered clear of them all this time but not sure now what to do for the best   They say they leave or die late autumn but they could be there for ages yet 🤔. I don’t like killing wildlife but today got me seriously rattled ☹️

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 15:34 »
 Omg that must have been so scary for you  :ohmy:

I think at this stage I'd definitely be calling a pest controller.  Would the committee pay for that or would you have to pay for it yourself?

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 18:47 »
That's horrid CQ.

They are particularly grumpy of late, I've had a run in with them as well this year, There's a nest above the front door at ML's old place, it happens most years normally not a problem I just ignore them and pass quickly. I've not even been able to unlock the door without them swarming the last week or so. I have a can of raid in the car and reduce the numbers now and then but if you can't access the nest, it's a losing battle.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 20:54 »
this time of year they get nasty and try to sting all the time.
if you know where the entrance to their nest is spray it with wasp killer early morning.
a few years ago they were terrible here. loads of nest in the old walls about  so impossible to deal with.
I put up lots of sugary jam jars about the place. it did help. buy some anti sting spray to help when you do get stung.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 21:17 »
I found an underground nest once at my allotment, the ants were looking after it!! They are starting to leave now so just want anything sweet...my apple trees.I have had sweetened wasps traps up over the last month and have caught hundreds, drones first and also some queens, which are huge.
Powder the nest overnight and hand wasp traps nearby. Put a warning sign up to protect others.

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 23:03 »
If i remember my Hanna Barbera cartoons right you only need to lie down in a pond with a straw in your mouth !

Hope this helps ! ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 12:06 »
I remember that cartoon 😃.

I got loads of stings round my neck shoulders and head, one on my upper arm and one on my leg. They itched like crazy but i’m good now

I’ve not been back to the plot yet   I told my plot neighbour but he was already aware of the nest. 

If I called in pest control I would have to pay.   Our council does nothing unfortunately, ‘cept collect rent

xx
Wasp sting ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2022, 13:14
by jezza
xx
Bumble bee nest

Started by Truffle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 20:42
by SnooziSuzi
clip
We have a nest - Blackbirds

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2018, 07:56
by snowdrops
clip
Jackdaw Nest Building 101

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 13:47
by MrsPea

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.