Sage varieties

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Sage varieties
« on: October 03, 2010, 18:29 »
I did a few sage plants this year, but I've got no idea what variety they are. All it says on the packet is Mr Fothergills Sage. I picked and dried some leaves and it doesn't smell the same as the dried sage I buy from the shops. I assume this is because it's a different variety. Anybody know what the variety is that's grown for commercial production?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sage varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:55 »
Don't know the answer to your question, but don't like to see questions un-replied to either!

All the commonly-available sages are cultivars of Salvia officianalis, whether they be green, purple or variegated. I personally don't find the difference very great when used as a flavouring, and as a herb which can be used fresh all year round (albeit a bit moth-eaten and soggy in the depths of winter!) I'm inclined to think that drying it would rather defeat the purpose of growing it in the first place.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08 »
Thanks Jay, I obviously missed it yesterday :(

I would think that the difference was purely down to the method of drying.......most bought herbs have been freeze dried, which after the freezing uses higher temperatures to take out the water.
This is effectively 'cooking' the herbs so would IMO change the smell more than the slow drying that we do at home.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56 »
Thanks for that. I've tried using it fresh and it doesn't have a lot of smell at all when fresh, which puzzled me, and really I think half the taste is in the smell, if you see what I mean. But I did actually dry it in the microwave rather than slowly, cos that just seems to work really well for herbs. I've dried a load of thyme, oregano, basil, mint, etc., in the microwave and they've all turned out really well.

xx
Sage

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 09:48
by wellingtons
xx
Blackcurrant Sage

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 19:34
by mumofstig
xx
Purple sage

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 09:04
by hubballi
xx
Sage cuttings

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 15:01
by Annie

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 40 queries.