Quince?

• 28 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Quince?
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:17 »
I have been poking about in the undergrowth surrounding our property this morning (and have the insect bites to prove it!) and came across three or four trees with masses of these.

Which I assume are under ripe quince. They are slightly furry which I presume will go when they are ripe, and are huge, weighing 8oz (250ish g) or more each. I have a feeling I may be busy come oct/nov. To be honest, the trees are actually in next door's garden but many of the bounty are hanging on our side. Judging by how many pears and apples there are rotting on their plot I doubt they will want all these.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Quince?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29 »
Yup - Quince they are.. lucky you... they make the bestest jelly ever!! I planted 2 trees a couple of years ago and one has loads of fruit on this year - cant wait to make jelly  :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:17 »
I love quince jelly. Goes nice on toast or with savoury things like pork meats and cheese :D
If it is going to land in your garden then it's yours! ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:59 »
I am so jealous - my quince is only a baby and I won't get any from it for a couple of years yet.

But I do know where every ornamental quince is in the local area and will be knocking on doors to ask for the fruit in a month or so's time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:08 »
We had those monsters in Greece, they're good just simply baked and served with Icecream  ::) :lol:

The ornamental quince, doesn't taste the same, to me - I'd only ever use that for jelly.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10 »
The Japanese quince is a different plant family so won't taste like the ones in the photo  :)

Quince hails from places like Serbia.  Lucky find  :)

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10 »
how big do the trees get and can they be espaliered?

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19 »
The trees are not huge. I would say they have self-seeded as there are small ones, or suckered. So many things self seed, and I find it hard pulling up young walnut trees for instance, when someone in the UK would snatch your hand off! (maybe not walnut if they are slow to mature.) :(

surbie100

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24 »

They will get fairly high if you let them - it depends on the rootstock. My neighbour's one is about 20ft high, with the fruit on the tips at the top.

Because of where they fruit, quince shouldn't be espaliered - they can be made into a fan though, which is what I am doing with mine. It will be 3m wide and 2m high in the end.

They only start fruiting at 4-5 years old though, so be patient.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 13:18 »
thanks, do u know the dimensions of the mature fan? i`m seeing if i can fit one in here.
first tasted quince jelly this year and have been hooked ever since, would love to make my own :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 13:24 »
Oh you lucky bean, i would love to find some.

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 13:35 »
We had those monsters in Greece, they're good just simply baked and served with Icecream  ::) :lol:

The ornamental quince, doesn't taste the same, to me - I'd only ever use that for jelly.

The jelly from the ornamental quince is still pretty amazing though - I have a waiting list for this year's batch!  :)

I was hoping the big ones would taste the same, the little ones are delicious. Am trotting off now to the Iranian deli to find out when they will get their supplies in!

thanks, do u know the dimensions of the mature fan? i`m seeing if i can fit one in here.
first tasted quince jelly this year and have been hooked ever since, would love to make my own :)

As I understand it, you set the dimensions because you control the fan size through pruning. But then again, I have zero experience at this so far - am practising on the quince.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 13:37 by surbie100 »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 13:49 »
I bought an ornamental quince years ago because I liked the flower. I didn't do anything with the fruit except give it to an old lady who knocked at the door every year. However since I have stopped going out to work and have taken on growing my own stuff I made quince jelly for the 1st time last year. It is delicious, so more will be made this season. I will have to hide it from 2 of my grandsons though. :D

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 14:04 »

They will get fairly high if you let them - it depends on the rootstock. My neighbour's one is about 20ft high, with the fruit on the tips at the top.

Because of where they fruit, quince shouldn't be espaliered - they can be made into a fan though, which is what I am doing with mine. It will be 3m wide and 2m high in the end.

They only start fruiting at 4-5 years old though, so be patient.

If I'm stuck here in this country I dream of having a big walled garden with espaliered trees on each wall.
Love quince jelly - also crab apple jelly mmmmmmm :happy:

tosca100

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 14:08 »
I've never had quince jelly though we had an ornamental in GB which fruited well. Can't wait to try it now, better see if I can get some small bottles st the market tomorrow.

Shame I can't send you all some.

xx
Quince

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 00:07
by Swing Swang
xx
quince

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 21:22
by New shoot
xx
Planting a quince

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 20:52
by gavinjconway
xx
A QUESTION ABOUT QUINCE?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 19:53
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 40 queries.