comfrey

• 15 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
comfrey
« on: March 10, 2014, 14:16 »
Hi,

Bought some Bocking 14 root cuttings and planted them in pots. The shoots are appearing above the soil now. can I plant them out already or should I keep them indoors for a bit?

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: comfrey
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 14:36 »
Hi Andy i bought some a couple of years ago, i just let mine grow-on in the pots until well established then planted them out, they are very hardy plants, mine in the lotty are just showing green again.

georget

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 15:13 »
Hi Andy where did you buy it,im up in co.durham do garden centres sell it .Iused wild comfrey last year for the 1st time did the trick bot its not bocking 13.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 15:13 »
Being hardy you can plant them out, if they've been in a greenhouse or cold frame they will need hardening off first.

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 15:25 »
Hi Andy where did you buy it,im up in co.durham do garden centres sell it .Iused wild comfrey last year for the 1st time did the trick bot its not bocking 13.

I bought it off ebay for about £3 for 5 roots

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 16:24 »
georget  .i live in durham.  i bought mine on ebay.  got 8 or so   i think. only about £5 plus postage. came through letterbox. potted on and got 5 thriving.  go to ebay and bring up comfrey.   good luck.p.s. came from devon i believe

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52 »
I have Bocking 14 on my plot and it makes great liquid fertiliser. It's a very hardy plant, I moved mine last year just dug it up dropped it into its new hole heeled in topped off with a drink of water and it did fine.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55 »
Got mine off ebay last year.

Just stuck the cuttings outside in a tray of compost, (a cat litter tray of course), and then transplanted them when the plants were big enough.

They're now starting to come into full leaf and look like making cracking plants this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 13:47 »
Georget, Boking 14 comfrey is preferred as it doesn't make seeds that spread everywhere and takeover an area. The 14 remains in good control. A friend has the wild comfrey growing in their yard and the dratted stuff has spread everywhere with seeds and deep, pernicious roots that can be dug out only with a backhoe.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 13:55 »
Got mine off ebay last year.

You should have shouted. I dug up and burnt all 16 of my 5 year old plants last year to make way for a wall, I'd have happily passed them on, the roots were as thick as my arm, I never found them particularly useful. I know lots of people here find they make good feed but I was only getting 2 cuttings a year and with limited space they just didn't provided enough feed to justify the space they took up. Much easier and quicker to buy a bottle of tomerite.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37 »
I have a plant (Bocking 14) next to each of my 3 compost bins, drawing on the nutrients there - the brew they make is great.  3 is about right I reckon for a plot of my size, I can have a couple of buckets of ''tea' steeping with a plant in full leaf and the others recovering at different stages.

Awesome stuff, love it to bits and the bees think so to :D
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

georget

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 15:32 »
The comfrey i used last year grows on a nearby ex railway line walkway theres loads of it but i wouldnt plant it in the garden i know it would take over.Thats all i used on the tomatoes last year and got a hell of a crop.I would like to use it for other things and the 14 would be better suited because of the leaf size and it is easier to harvest especially if its on your own plot,but i must admit i do like harvesting natures bounty for free. ;) :nowink:

danny1936

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19 »
I had 6 roots of Bocking 4 delivered yesterday. They were about 4 inches long. Having read about the propagation of Comfrey, the advice was to cut about 1 inch of the root into a pot to get them started. Would I be OK to cut these roots into 1 inch bits and then set them?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18 »
1 inch segments are fine, I think.  Just pop them in some soil and they will do the rest!

savbo

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 15:13 »
... in a tray of compost, (a cat litter tray of course), ...

with the comfrey and the leeks taking up the trays, can your cats cross their legs?

:)

xx
Comfrey Bed

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 23:23
by Muddylou
xx
Comfrey... When do you cut it?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 16:15
by Babstreefern
xx
more use for comfrey

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 11:50
by compostqueen
xx
comfrey

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:59
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.