How to stop a dog licking stitches

• 8 Replies

Eblana

How to stop a dog licking stitches
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:57 »
Archie was neutered on Friday but is still as mad as ever!   He came home from the vets with a cone on to stop him licking at the wound.  He spent all day Saturday and Sunday head butting everything he find until it was in three pieces.  I went out yesterday and paid a leg and an arm for a blow up ring to put around his neck to stop him getting at the wound but got up this morning to find that it was in pieces and he wad having a great time having a go at the wound.  I currently have a big dressing on the wound so that even if he is licking the wound won't be too wet and he won't be able to get the stitches out.  Has anyone any suggestions?  Also does anyone know how long it will take to heal?

Snoop

Re: How to stop a dog licking stitches
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 13:13 »
Didn't the vet give you any advice on healing time? It's a bit remiss if they didn't. Maybe you could go back and ask them. Did you put the dressing or did the vet? I've never seen male dog castration wounds dressed, though that's not to say it's never done. If you put it on rather than the vet, it may be the dressing is causing a problem.

Meanwhile, here's some advice from a veterinary practice:

http://www.walkergreen-vet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/neutering-post-operative-care1.pdf

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 13:35 »
Can you dress him in an old shirt, buttons up in strategic places, as a licking-barrier?

We put old knickers on our bitches when in season, with a hole cut for the tail :)  That might work too ...

They are just temporary workaround though, but might buy you some time.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 14:15 »
Didn't the vet give you any advice on healing time? It's a bit remiss if they didn't. Maybe you could go back and ask them. Did you put the dressing or did the vet? I've never seen male dog castration wounds dressed, though that's not to say it's never done. If you put it on rather than the vet, it may be the dressing is causing a problem.

Meanwhile, here's some advice from a veterinary practice:

http://www.walkergreen-vet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/neutering-post-operative-care1.pdf

My daughter collected Archie for me.  She said that they were self dissolving stitches and that he has to go back in 2 weeks for a check up but I forgot to ask her how long it would be until stitches healed/dissolved and she was on nights last night so she is in bed at the moment.  I will ask her when she gets up.

I put the dressing on this morning to try to keep the stitches dry but it only lasted 15 minutes.

I have a shirt on him at the moment (as suggested by Kristen) and that seems to be working.  He has stopped licking and is now sound asleep so fingers crossed.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 14:37 »
Did the vets not supply a "lampshade". ?

Did not work on my cat though, our last cat came home from her opp in a little baby grow.
She was mighty peeved by it, but had freedom to move and her stitches were well covered and fine.

I'd try the t shirt idea, they may not like it, but it works.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 16:25 »
The lampshade lasted all of 6 hours while Archie barged around the house deliberately bumping into everything he could find, we managed to patch it up a few times but it ended up in three pieces by Sunday morning.  The blow up pillow type one lasted less than an hour as Kyia (our GS girl), kindly obliged him by bursting it and then playing tug of war with him for it.  The tee shirt idea has worked so far - he isn't a happy camper though and I am getting Bulls looks.

snow white

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 16:30 »
I put a polo neck on my bitch when she needed stitches in her chest.  She was a * for pulling the stitches out until she had it on.

LotuSeed

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 17:40 »
You could also try a gauze pad held on with vet wrap. It's like an ace bandage only it's slightly tacky. And sticks to itself so there's no need for tape or clasps. I get mine at the tack store, it's normally used for horses but I've used it on myself more than once! They make a human version but it's 3 times as much as the animal one and it doesn't come in pretty colors. 😋

Here's a link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005FWDT2Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1430325608&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=vet+wrap&dpPl=1&dpID=31xGhzRBbHL&ref=plSrch
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Eblana

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 21:16 »
You could also try a gauze pad held on with vet wrap. It's like an ace bandage only it's slightly tacky. And sticks to itself so there's no need for tape or clasps. I get mine at the tack store, it's normally used for horses but I've used it on myself more than once! They make a human version but it's 3 times as much as the animal one and it doesn't come in pretty colours

My daughter says she has a roll of this in here horses tack box.  She is going to pick it up on her way home from work in the morning.  So far so good with the tee shirt except for he keeps wetting the tee shirts when he goes for a wizz!

xx
dogs licking thier feet

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 18:56
by karlooben
xx
How to stop Charlie chewing his paws?

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post November 03, 2012, 19:03
by Oliveview
xx
How do you stop a dog moulting all year round??

Started by min200 on Pets without Feathers

25 Replies
Last post November 11, 2012, 18:02
by lizt

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 40 queries.