lidl lemon trees

• 30 Replies

goose

• Experienced Member
lidl lemon trees
« on: April 01, 2017, 17:09 »
so, was passing lidl and saw a lovely lemon tree for £16.99.  Bargain!  I know they are hard to keep but I have always fancied one, so at this price, it was worth the risk IMHO.

just reading the label and it says 'not for human consumption-decorative purposes only'

gutted that I had been duped, I googled it and some sites say that they put this on the label if it has been treated with chemicals but the new fruit that (hopefully) comes will be ok to eat.  some say they have used the flesh from the fruit that was already present on the 'treated' plant with no probs, but advise caution over using the rind.

thoughts please?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: lidl lemon trees
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 18:27 »
I'd give them a good scrub and use them myself, although I realise some may find this cavalier
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

spadework

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 21:46 »
I bought one of these last year. Didn't read the label, never do. Potted it up and over the summer it grew well initially in the greenhouse then outside in the summer. It wintered inside facing a bright relatively cool bedroom window. Shorten the sappy upward growths so the lemons are not borne on thin bendy growth.

It grew four lemons ripening mostly over winter (they can stay on the tree until you are ready to pick) the last one picked in march. They are a little bland to eat but maybe I left them on the tree too long.

It has been repotted again and is back in he greenhouse to start the whole process again. :)

gobs

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 22:11 »
just reading the label and it says 'not for human consumption-decorative purposes only'

I am with the others. More so, because citrus fruits so commonly and easily cross as cucurbits.  I have no knowledge (anybody correct me) of toxic citrus fruit, so simply, it is not a type grown for flavour.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 08:36 »

I am with the others. More so, because citrus fruits so commonly and easily cross as cucurbits.  I have no knowledge (anybody correct me) of toxic citrus fruit, so simply, it is not a type grown for flavour.

I think the concern was more about chemicals the plant had been treated with chemicals prior to purchase that might affect the edibility of the fruit though .... the rind of new fruit would be clear anyway I should think

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:10 »
A lot of these cheap plant deals come in via the Dutch plant importers and they stick those 'not for human consumption' warnings on everything, just because they buy so much stuff and can't guarantee what a plant has or hasn't been treated with in the past.  I've seen them on citrus, bay trees and even plants like rosemary.

Pesticides are a huge expense for commercial growers and they don't spray them around as much as people think.  I would go with Sunshineband's advice and just give the lemons a good scrub before using them.

£16.99 for a lemon tree is a great deal - I would have snaffled one as well at that price  :)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 09:25 »
thanks so much for your reassurances.  I will one a scrub and try a slice in a G&T later...hopefully the alcohol will kill off anything more harmful!

I think they only came on sale yesterday, so they may still have some if anyone else is interested.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 19:55 »
thanks so much for your reassurances.  I will one a scrub and try a slice in a G&T later...hopefully the alcohol will kill off anything more harmful!

I think they only came on sale yesterday, so they may still have some if anyone else is interested.

Aha! That's the answer... sterilisation with alcohol. Now why didn't I think of that?????

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 15:56 »

this is a pic of my new baby...just hope the pic works as its my first time uploading an image!

hmmmm....not sure why there is a link rather than a photo? but if you click it opens up.

edit - You need image tags (click the button under the B) for the photo to show
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 16:14 by mumofstig »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 17:14 »
thanks mumofstig, I will give it a try next time. x

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 15:19 »
That looks lovely.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 16:44 »
thanks!  i am very pleased with it, just hope i can give it the TLC it needs.  i have put the heater on in the greenhouse (for the toms too) as it is going to be cold tonight.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 18:43 »
Is it too heavy to bring in just for the night?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 20:48 »
you are right, I should have done that.  it is heavier than it looks and quite a distance from my back door.  I will bring him in tomorrow and take a hit on the electric bill tonight.  I am away on business for the next week and the overnight temperatures look very cold so its probably a good idea. thanks.

gobs

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 23:42 »

this is a pic of my new baby...just hope the pic works as its my first time uploading an image!

hmmmm....not sure why there is a link rather than a photo? but if you click it opens up.

edit - You need image tags (click the button under the B) for the photo to show

Hm. You admit, you just wanted to boast with it...

xx
lemon trees

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2006, 16:33
by Jake
xx
Orange and lemon trees

Started by whistler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 08:31
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Lidl Fruit Trees... Now What?

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2021, 16:03
by AndyRVTR
xx
£3.99 Fruit Trees at Lidl

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2007, 22:15
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 40 queries.