Border or no border in a greenhouse?

• 20 Replies

Yana

Border or no border in a greenhouse?
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:03 »
I am sure there is a thread about this (might even have started/co tributes to it myself), but nevertheless, will ask again.
I've got two greenhouses both with earth borders in a U-shape and a central path made of paving slabs and all seems well. However, I am going to be moving them soon and wondered if this is an opportunity to have the greenhouses sitting on paving slabs or concrete and no 'open' borders as such. I have read about the benefits of tomato grow pots in grow bags but would like to hear others opinions/experiences please.
I grow to tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, chillies and aubergines and use the greenhouses a lot for seedlings. Don't really use them in the winter for overwintering stuff or growing salads.
Thanks in anticipation.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Border or no border in a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 14:12 »
Hi Yana

I think a lot depends on the size of the greenhouse.  I only have a 6x4 one and there just isn't room for a border, much as I'd like one.  I manage perfectly well with tomatoes and cucumbers growing in florists buckets, chillies and peppers in 9" pots and trays of lettuce leaves, pots of basil etc.  I have all of my buckets / pots on a capillary mat which is ontop of a growbag tray and fed from a water resevoir which is just an old (but clean!) cat litter tray in one corner.  Works a treat for me.

If you have the space, then I'd say have a border but if you can't, it probably won't matter too much.

OG

Yana

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 14:34 »
The greenhouses are 8x6 and 10x6 so keep the border huh?

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 14:39 »
I originally had borders in my 8x6 - but I prefer to be able to move the plants around in case anything gets shaded. (this wouldn't be a problem if I just put less plants in the greenhouse!)

Yana

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 14:42 »
It's sort of for that reason Herb that I think the 'no border' is a good idea.

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 16:42 »
I like my border.  we've only had a greenhouse for a year.  last year I grew salads in them before the toms went in.  We had chillis and peppers and aubergines in pots, but the toms did better.... :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 17:01 »
Mine stands on a pre-existing concrete base so I have no choice but to use containers, although down one side I have built semi-permanent but adjustable staging.

I can see advantages in both methods and it could come down to quite minor considerations (for instance, if you are away a lot in summer beds will look after themselves better than bags and containers) but the fact that you can completely sterilise a no-border greenhouse every year and start with fresh compost might be more important to those who have had disease problems in their bordered greenhouses.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 17:12 »
I really don't get on with growbag watering  :(
If I couldn't use the borders I'd use deep pots stood in saucers for watering into - which is how the peppers and chillis are grown.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 17:25 »
I have an 8"x 6" greenhouse and have a raised bed on one side, which leaves plenty of room for a path and my staging. I found it much easier to keep my toms hydrated than the ones in pots only as the tap roots were able to access runoff.  I find that by also growing them in pots with the bottoms cut out, it is easier to hoik them out when they're done and I just top the bed up every year.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 17:31 »
Agree Mum - growbag watering can be a bit messy and uneven even using upturned bottles and whatnot, which is why I've been busy making planters from old pallets (they will be lined with old compost bags with drainage holes made between the bottom slats - should make life a bit easier.)

Total cost - about £1 for the screws (but only if you buy them from Screwfix rather than B&Q!)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 18:11 by JayG »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 18:53 »
They look good jay  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 19:04 »
I've got soil in my 10' x 8' greenhouse,with weed membrane all over it,with decking tiles for a path down the centre with the last one missing at the far end,creating the u shape you describe. I then add growbag trays at tomato time filled with gravel & stand cut flower pots on them with the tomatoes planted in them. Well that's what I've done in the past. I then have the flexibility to grow in the borders over the winter if I want. This year I have bought large tomato 'bags' & I am going to stand these in the growbag trays & plant into those tomato ring things,where you water into the outside ring & feed down the centre. I would eventually like a permanent slabbed path down the centre.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 19:05 »
Like the look of your grow-boxes Jay  :D

I have borders in the 6x8 at the plot, and have toms growing in bottomless pots over the soil, and other stuff in front of them

At home I have deep growbags (Like Jay's boxes but made of woven plastic tarp material) for toms and florists' buckets for cucumbers, peppers etc

Both seem to do the job OK
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Totty

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 15:21 »
In both our 12x8 and octagonal greenhouses I have solid floors. Soil that grows the same crops year on year are massively more likely to harbour pests and disease than properly rotated beds. It's a lot of hassle digging out a load of soil from a greenhouse to replace with new. Cucumbers dislike growing in soil that anything has grown in before let alone other cucumbers.
 We have a large greenhouse at work with 8 beds, which is fine because they can be rotated properly and soil enriched every year.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 16:53 »
Cucumbers dislike growing in soil that anything has grown in before let alone other cucumbers.

I've never heard that before, where did you get that information?

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 40 queries.