Pruning newly planted Blackcurrant bushes

• 7 Replies

Yana

Pruning newly planted Blackcurrant bushes
« on: March 15, 2013, 18:45 »
The instructions that come with the Blackcurrant bushes I got from Blackmoor says that you must prune all shoots back to 1" above the ground. The bushes look really healthy and the branches have loads of buds so it seems a shame to cut all the branches back that low down. What would happen if I didn't prune back as stated?
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Trillium

Re: Pruning newly planted Blackcurrant bushes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:38 »
Don't you know that all instructions were made for breaking?   :D

Must admit that I wouldn't prune such healthy sounding branches as I'm sure they got a few good clips at the growers'.

This from GardenIE says it better than I can:
Blackcurrants carry most of their fruit on young shoots. The shoots produced in one year carry flowers and fruit the second year. Pruning aims to provide a good supply of young shoots by removing a proportion of the older shoots each year. Carry out pruning after fruiting, although usually it is done in winter, being made easier by the absence of leaves.

Each year, prune out one quarter to one third of the number of shoots in the bush. Choose the older, darker-barked shoots to go. Prune them out as low down as possible. Annual pruning keeps the bushes to a reasonable size.

Yana

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:31 »
There is no 'old wood' as far as I can see and the tops of the branches have already been pruned as I can see the cuts.
I'm going to break the rules and leave the bushes as they are and see what happens.
 :(

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 15:48 »
I'm always a bit careful with such matters too and would hate to cut too hard into the shrub then get hit by freezing weather, which we could expect any day, so I think erring on the side of caution might not be misplaced.  They don't crop heavily for the first years of their lives anyway. Well, mine didn't. Mine have been slow to get going but cropped like mad last year and I was able to make my first ever blackcurrant jam  :)

Ema

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 18:36 »
Your instructions were probably for 1 year olds I chopped mine right down in autumn so Inwont get any fruit this year. Your bushes sound bigger and more established than mine which were practically 1 up right so I'd leave them be and see how they go

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 22:37 »
Start pruning after about 3 years and then cut back the stems in the centre to open the plant. Prune the  older branches which will have a darker bark. fruit crops on young branches. After year 4 take out a third of the branches at the base to encourage new growth.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 00:08 »
Start pruning after about 3 years and then cut back the stems in the centre to open the plant. Prune the  older branches which will have a darker bark. fruit crops on young branches. After year 4 take out a third of the branches at the base to encourage new growth.

Sounds good to me Ivor!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yana

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 16:29 »
They are two year old bushes so they are really good looking and healthy.
I'll leave them and see what happens and prune the year after this as they will be three years old then.

xx
Moving newly planted fruit bushes

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2011, 18:08
by Yorkie
xx
Newly planted fruit bushes - will they survive cold?

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 11:47
by tode
xx
Newly planted leeks

Started by starmoonlilly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 13:31
by starmoonlilly
xx
Newly planted Rasperries?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 08:04
by Cavolo Nero

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 35 queries.