chicken with chalky runny poo

• 5 Replies

balleswidden

chicken with chalky runny poo
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:11 »
can you tell me why my chicken has chalky poo...she is slightly listless, thank you    Hilly

kegs

Re: chicken with chalky runny poo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:49 »
Hi and welcome.

This thread will show you lots of chicken poo pics which should help.  The chalk is probably the urates part of the poo.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

As for being slightly listless, have they been wormed recently with Flubenvet or any sign of red mite in the coop.  Also how old is your hen and what breed.

balleswidden

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 13:04 »
Hi and welcome.

This thread will show you lots of chicken poo pics which should help.  The chalk is probably the urates part of the poo.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

As for being slightly listless, have they been wormed recently with Flubenvet or any sign of red mite in the coop.  Also how old is your hen and what breed.
I wonder if I am answering in the right bit!.....she is 5... is a Maran I haven't wormed her for a few months and there are red mites in the coop....we try to keep on top of those, with all sorts of remedies....Hilly

kegs

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 14:40 »
Yes you answered in the right bit...  ;)

How is she today?  Is she a pure breed Marans or a hybrid?  If she's a hybrid then obviously 5 is a good age and could explain the listlessness. 

Unfortunately it could also be the red mite problem you've got especially if they are feeding on her in the night.  Anaemia will make her listless so getting rid of the red mite is important.  A lot of people use a Diatom earth slurry mixture to keep them away which you can find here  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81422.0 but there is lots of info on red mite if you pop it into the search field.  Bowden and Knights have lots of products and I think there's something in November's edition of Practical Poultry on a new red mite product but I haven't got it to hand.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 14:51 »
As redmite can kill poultry I would personally put the hens in temporary housing until the redmite are all gone.  Even a rabbit hutch or large box will be better than in an infested coop.  I hope that she recovers soon.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

balleswidden

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 19:23 »
Yes you answered in the right bit...  ;)

How is she today?  Is she a pure breed Marans or a hybrid?  If she's a hybrid then obviously 5 is a good age and could explain the listlessness. 

Unfortunately it could also be the red mite problem you've got especially if they are feeding on her in the night.  Anaemia will make her listless so getting rid of the red mite is important.  A lot of people use a Diatom earth slurry mixture to keep them away which you can find here  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81422.0 but there is lots of info on red mite if you pop it into the search field.  Bowden and Knights have lots of products and I think there's something in November's edition of Practical Poultry on a new red mite product but I haven't got it   to hand. 

I have had chickens for around 5 years...I always have a problem with mites and have used everything on the market.....I check every night...there's usually around 10 in there,not many, but if i leave it a night they multipfy relly quickly......Miranda is more listless today with lots of white poo running out of her bottom...thanks for your suggestions

xx
chicken problems and runny poo

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Runny chicken poop

Started by Totty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 20:48
by Totty
xx
Chicken sneezing and runny poo

Started by upert on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2018, 13:02
by grinling
xx
Yellow chalky poo

Started by Gladys on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 17:55
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.