chicken problems and runny poo

• 6 Replies

new_2_veg

« on: April 15, 2008, 08:35 »
hi all

got a couple of problems and at the min i have regrets about getting the bantams.

the small blue pekin got chuched out the house last night by the two wyandottes so things are getting quite bad, them this morning when the wyandottes came out the pekin went in! i have made sure there is food and water in there for it as the others run after it at times and didnt want it not to get any

:cry:
any sugestions or am i gonna have to bite the bullet and sell it on?

also the wyandotes have runny poo! it has been brown but is green tinted today but i did let them have grass clippings yesterday so i kno why its changed to that colour!

i thought i read somewhere that they whouldnt just have layers pellets and that can cause the runs, is that right? also could it be them still being unsettled from comming here?

dont know if it mattered but i have been getting a egg a day since they came but i didnt get any yesterday

thanks

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:04 »
Don't give up so easily Nathan, worthwhile things do not always go smoothly :!:

Take a picture of the runny or green poos and post them here so we can help you.

Give us some history about the birds before you got them, how old are they, how they were reared and fed what they were inocculated against, have the been wormed, what were they fed on  :?:

They will sort out their pecking order within 2-3 weeks and many here can give you tips about that.

new_2_veg

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13 »
i was told that they have just started laying this spring, the pekin is point of lay and not known to of layed yet.

they where mainly on grass but also had layers pellets, i have just been giving them layers pellets but was told last night i sould be giving them corn too?

poo pic....

could just be stress maybe, thats partly why i was thinking anbout the side mounted laying box

new_2_veg

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14 »
to be honnist i wouldnt think they have been wormed or had any jabs or anything :(

nathan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25 »
Well the poo looks OK to me, just watery which could be stress.  There's not much solid matter there so obviously not eating much.  

Put an extra feed and water station in so that they get plenty of opportunity to eat and drink.

Layers pellets is a complete food so theoretically they need nothing else.  Most hen keepers do give them extras like greens to peck at and mixed corn in the late afternoon.  I personally would not give grass cuttings as the can cause problems if the bits are too long, grazing on short grass is best.

I would worm them as green poo (picture please) could be a sign of worms.

new_2_veg

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 19:20 »
thanks as,

i got some mixed corn today and when i gave them that they went mad for it.

i will keep a eye out on them and leave them to settle in without bothering them to much.

i have ordered this today too

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=227&categoryID=10

so that will sort the problem, im going to make a roosting bar - perch on the front of it on arms so theres more room for them

the nest box is 30 inches long inside so would the bantams be ok if i put deviders in 10 inches apart?

thanks  nathan

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 22:00 »
Ours is about 20-24" wide and I didn't bother dividing it. They seem more than happy to use it as is.
You could make removable dividers and try them with or without. I'd be interested to know if it makes any difference.

Rob

xx
Runny chicken poop

Started by Totty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 20:48
by Totty
xx
chicken with chalky runny poo

Started by balleswidden on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 19:23
by balleswidden
xx
Chicken sneezing and runny poo

Started by upert on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2018, 13:02
by grinling
xx
Chicken Problems

Started by Keiko on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 06, 2006, 20:07
by Keiko

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 40 queries.