Temp Coop Covers vs British Weather

• 2 Replies

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Temp Coop Covers vs British Weather
« on: January 10, 2017, 13:51 »
I imagine a lot of people like myself were breaking out the staple gun along with as much plastic and tarp as they could muster when bird flu was reported several weeks ago.
My temp coop cover has fared quite well these last few weeks but with the 12 week extension it might be time to re-evaluate the situation…. Will our temp covers last 12 more weeks?
The real question will they withstand the weather?
The news this morning reported snow for the end of the week and I’m not sure how horizontal tarp over chicken wire and a thin wood frame will cope…. My best guess will be badly!
Has anyone else looked at a more permanent solution to this and how are we all planning to get through the winter with runs in tact?

grinling

Re: Temp Coop Covers vs British Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 15:43 »
my chicken run has a solid corrugated roof to stop rain as well as poly sheeting half way down on the sides.
The chooks are in the polytunnel, fertilising it nicely.
Depending on the size of wood for struts depend on the weight it can handle. Is it possible to have extra struts inside to have the roof higher, thus creating a dome effect. If not out with the broom to sweep off occaisionaly

Flowerpower136

Re: Temp Coop Covers vs British Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 19:22 »
Our 2 coops are in a big 'walk in' permanent aviary. It's timber frame and weldmesh top and sides. Built strong and buried deep to keep out the more usual predators.  Whole thing topped with transparent corrugated plastic sheets to keep the rain out. And now the poo! Thankfully big enough for our girls to stay put.
In view of the infection risk, we've just added some extra plastic panels over the mesh down one side. Water was splashing in off the roof.   Potentially washing in wild bird poo with it.
As a temporary measure I'm going to fix some fleece round the top half of the remaining unclad mesh sides, though tbh, think that might be belt and braces and not sure it will stay in place in the wind. Worth a go though. Didn't cost much.

xx
incubator temp?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 23:12
by scotty
xx
What temp should the ducklings be kept at??

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 10:21
by Foxy
question
New incubator, what temp?

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 07:59
by Mickle
xx
incubator temp

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 21:34
by pigglywiggly

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.