Seed Garlic Prices

• 27 Replies

compostqueen

Re: Seed Garlic Prices
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 22:21 »
Oooh they sound interesting. They like their grub at SOI so they'll be tasty ones  :tongue2:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 07:37 »
Mmmmmm.. they do look really interesting..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 09:16 »
Not wanting to start a war but I to get my garlic seed from the supermarket shelf  I have tried nursery seed but can find no real difference in  the finished product. however I must say that I grow my garlic in the green house.

Garlic needs the cold to get the true growth and taste so growing in the greenhouse is not the correct place for it..

The green house is not heated so it still gets cold, just not frozen.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 12:29 »
Thanks for the answers!  Just bought from reallygarlicky.  8 bulbs for a tenner including postage.  Much better price than the other options and looks nice garlic too.

Adri

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 12:45 »
Just had my delivery from Marshalls. I bought from them as they had a BOGOFF - in effect 4 bulbs for a fiver.

The Garlic Early Purple Wight I ordered has been substituted by "Garlic Carcassonne Wight"

(actually they call it "superseded" - which surely would mean it is a new name for that variety?)

The Garlic Farm says "Most successful of all hardnecks in UK with good skin cover, great strength of flavour coupled with a superior (in our opinion) bouquet and character. Planting September – February / Harvesting June-July" so that sounds OK, except that I think that Early Purple Wight would be ready for harvesting several weeks earlier.

And the Garlic Solent Wight I ordered is ... "To follow" ...

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 23:33 »
I have some Purple Garlic from France(toulouse+lautrec+garlic),some purple garlic from Brittany and some from Poland.

Can I use the cloves from these types to plant on my allotment?

Thanks

Auntiemogs

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47 »
Reallygarlicky are charging about 80p a bulb, but then you have to pay postage (£3.75).  Still worth it if you want any quantity though... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 08:55 »
I have some Purple Garlic from France(toulouse+lautrec+garlic),some purple garlic from Brittany and some from Poland.

Can I use the cloves from these types to plant on my allotment?

You can but you can't be sure they're disease free, or that they'll grow in our climate....but if they look good and they're good varieties for you it might be worth a try.

Ema

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 13:54 »
This year I grew garlic from homebase and had very poor results a lot of then just didn't grow. At the same time I tried 2 different uk grown supermarket garlics from waitrose and tesco and both have done very well dispite everyone on the site having rust.

This year I thought I would buy from a reputable seed catalog and have also been amazed at there prices!!

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 15:59 »
Stopped at a local garden shop yesterday and saw Music seed garlic.... $8/lb !! That's about five and a half euros. Yikes! The heads were large so about 1-1/2 heads per pound. That won't get you far if you love garlic.

Totty

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 18:05 »
If growing to save a bit of money, rather than gourmet cuisine, and want certified seed stock then look to Parker's. 2.5kg for 14 quid.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 18:30 »
This year I grew garlic from homebase and had very poor results a lot of then just didn't grow.

I've not had success with garlic and also had a whole bag from Homebase last winter and also got nothing.  Think will give it a miss and use the space for something else; garlic is very cheap here in the local Asian grocer shops-but appreciate that others will have differing priorities.  Interesting thread.

Ema

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 23:02 »
Glad it wasnt just me Pigguns!

xx
seed prices

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2022, 16:00
by Snowboar
xx
Seed Prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 14:01
by DD.
xx
Seed Prices

Started by 3 allotments on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:56
by gavinjconway
xx
Rising seed prices

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 14:53
by Christine

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 40 queries.