sowing an planting

• 8 Replies

m1ckz

sowing an planting
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:24 »
what have you guts an gals been planting this last month..im holding back on carrots     snips an things  like that    its so cold  hoping to get french bean plants in this weekend    there about 3 inches now..my friend put runner beans in yesturdat   bit early i think given the weather

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sowing an planting
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:01 »
If it is cold, and you need to hold off sowing hardy plants (carrots and parsnips) it doesn't make much sense to me to plant out French beans which are tender.

I'm putting sowing/planting dates back by a couple of weeks for everything.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:03 »
what have you guts an gals been planting ...

Was that a reference to slightly overweight men who have supped too many pints.  ;)

It must be time to sow runners as I heard the first cuckoo yesterday.

I would have thought it would be ok to sow beans and things under polythene now, the temp below ground will be warm enough for them to germinate and they will be up for next week when the weather is a bit warmer. You could raise the polythene a bit if they reach the surface a bit early. If you've already got plants I would hold off until next week if you can house them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:07 »
There is a even colder snap of weather coming Monday/Tuesday, so I've held back on lots of seed sowing.  The plot soil is warming and drying out slowly, but its not quite where is should be for this time of year.

The windowsills inside are full of tomatoes and peppers.  The greenhouse is full and so are the seedling cloche and cold frame and that is just the onions, greens, peas and a few bits and pieces like modules of beetroot.

No point sowing more until I can move some of this on.  Beans, sweetcorn and the like grow so fast there is no panic  :)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 15:16 »
I agree- everything running later than usual.  just popped the sweetcorn onto chit, everything tender inside- window sills heaving.  Beans in the ground?  :nowink:
Brassicas, peas, beets, salads and the hardy things all fleeced up to within an inch of their lives in the greenhouse- the slug pellets in the pots got a few sluggys already!  Am concerned about my Bramley apple tree in full flower during next week- there'll be no bees out  :(

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 15:49 »
5 x 10' rows of peas went in yesterday, but it'll be a couple of weeks before they show.
240 onion sets went in today.  4 x 12' rows of Kestrel, 4 x 12' rows of Desiree, and 4 x 12' rows of Charlotte going in tomorrow before the cold sets in next week.

Brassica seeds are in the cold greenhouse so they should be safe enough.
A little bit of breathing space for me next week. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 17:21 »
I have only taken the bean seeds out of the seed box today, to be sown indoors next week. Later than last year, but right now it is colder than this time last year. Rather be safe than sorry.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Robster

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 18:14 »
I've sowed a few trays of dwarf french beans because I can cover them when I plant out in May.  All climbing beans are still in their packets.  Some courgettes are up but they will go out under bell cloches when this current cold snap is over.  I'll sow those again mid May probably.  I've sown some carrots in troughs and a few outside which are up already.  Some beetroot (outside) up already.  Ive sowed butternut and pumpkin as I can pot them on for at least a month after they come up and by that time the frosts will be over and they can go out then.  Lettuce, radish, turnips, and cabbages, caulis, kale etc  all coming on outside

al78

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 19:46 »
Outside, I have sown perpetual spinach but most of the other veg I have started indoors in modules (that is as much to protect them from slugs as the weather). I haven't started carrots yet, the weather and soil is likely warm enough for them to germinate but it is the soil moisture content that has put me off so far, and I am concerned the seeds will just rot if I sow them now. I'm waiting until May when we might (for once) get some temperatures warm enough to dry the soil. I don't tend to sow much direct outside as I either get no germination or I get seedlings up to a couple of inches tall then they get grazed off by slugs, or trampled by local cats. I am tempted in futurre not to bother with carrots as my soil is such heavy wet clay it is very difficult to get anything like a decent crop.

xx
sowing & planting

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 11:03
by milkman
xx
Sowing and Planting: Is there a difference?

Started by briandaud on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2022, 06:28
by Growster...
xx
Biodynamic planting and sowing

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 20:59
by shaun
xx
succession planting/sowing

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:52
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 40 queries.