Armistice

• 6 Replies

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Armistice
« on: November 11, 2018, 10:50 »
 Still can't watch old footage of ww1 without crying. More  heart wrenching being silent and the faces of those young men. Awful. Everyone living lost someone. Makes you wonder why doesn't it sometimes.

Goosegirl

Re: Armistice
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 14:31 »
Ruby, my husband and I went with some friends to Ypres last year on a Shearing's tour. If you ever get the chance you'll never regret it. Both the driver and his commentator gave us such a roller-coaster of emotions that we will never forget. We went to several small cemeteries, other places such as the Canadian one at Vimy Ridge, and one that remembered all the animals that were used during WW1. When we went to Tyne Cot cemetery it was the only time that I shed some tears. Everything before that I kept inside, but to actually see for myself the almost endless avenues of white gravestones was just too much to bear.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 14:43 »
Ruby, my husband and I went with some friends to Ypres last year on a Shearing's tour. If you ever get the chance you'll never regret it. Both the driver and his commentator gave us such a roller-coaster of emotions that we will never forget. We went to several small cemeteries, other places such as the Canadian one at Vimy Ridge, and one that remembered all the animals that were used during WW1. When we went to Tyne Cot cemetery it was the only time that I shed some tears. Everything before that I kept inside, but to actually see for myself the almost endless avenues of white gravestones was just too much to bear.
I agree with every word. Touring the WW1 battlefields makes you realise the enormity of that conflict. I would also recommend people try and take the opportunity to see for themselves.

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 20:24 »
I think this is rather moving.
Remembrance 2018.jpg
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:37 »
Very much so. Also were the sand sketches of war veterans which gently disappeared as the tide came in.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 18:04 »
my Son took us  to France last year to visit the Somme battlefields and the remembrance cemeteries and I have to agree it was very moving to see the graves of so many young men needlessly slaughtered   I'm very pleased  you reminded me Goosegirl about Shering's battlefield tours I'm going to get in touch with Shering's asap to see if I can book up for next year for Ypres

i would like to visit Ypres as my uncle Tom was fighting there and although wounded twice in battle he was shipped back to England and after he recovered he returned to the front and was one of those fortunate to  actually returned to tell the tale but he never spoke of the war

several years ago i was aproached by a son of one of Toms palls who was writing a book of these palls and the comradeship  they obviously had in those dark times in the trenches I'm not going to say anymore encase you  purchase the book called THE TIGERS TALE  by Richard J. Blood [www.reprintuk.com] its well worth a reading 

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 14:28 »
Good for you Rowland. If you book now you should get a reduction for the cost of the trip. The one we went on used the Novohotel which is just around the corner from the Menin Gate. It was a really nice place and the food was very good. We had to go out for a meal on the first night and there are several eateries in the near vicinity and I found all the souvenirs to be of very good quality. We found the day trips were really well-arranged and the commentator had excellent knowledge as did the driver. The Canadian memorial and Tyne Cot were particularly special.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 45 queries.