Is there a broad bean trick

• 19 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
Re: Is there a broad bean trick
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 00:19 »
I was talking to an OB nearby (who has a very productive vegetable garden) and he  insists on putting lime with his broad beans when he plants them out (like yesterday). I see no mention of lime here. Does anyone else think it is necessary or does it depend on your local ph?
John

Salmo

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 00:31 »
After several years of gappy rows with direct planting I now plant in modules. Start them off in the warm and put them outside as soon as they show. Leave them in the warm too long and they get leggy.

Recently I have lost a couple of plants after planting out with Bean Seed Fly. Burrowing inside the stem and brown burrowing in the seed. Not sure if they laid their eggs in the modules or they were in the soil. All looked healthy at planting out.

I have come across this pest in French and Runner beans but not in Broad? Has anyone else experienced this

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26 »
I sowed direct, they did nothing for over a month then all of a sudden up they popped. But there is always that feeling, esp when seeing other people's broad beans and things doing so well, that you have failed....and hey presto, it all seems to click into place

Robster

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44 »
I am trying a new experiment this year.  I germinated some aquadulcia claudia around Christmas grew them on and put them in the cold greenhouse soil in very early February.  They are now nice strong plants about 9-12 inches high.  I want to see if I can get a crop out before the tomatoes go in around end of May.  If it looks a bit tight I may have to eat the baby pods, which I have not done before.  The border soil is commercial veg growing compost over well rotted manure.  Has anyone else done this?

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03 »
I am trying a new experiment this year.  I germinated some aquadulcia claudia around Christmas grew them on and put them in the cold greenhouse soil in very early February.  They are now nice strong plants about 9-12 inches high.  I want to see if I can get a crop out before the tomatoes go in around end of May.  If it looks a bit tight I may have to eat the baby pods, which I have not done before.  The border soil is commercial veg growing compost over well rotted manure.  Has anyone else done this?

Same seeds - sown in greenhouse in paper pots early on - planting outside in a day or two after two weeks in a cold-frame. Early crop?
We'll see.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Terry Walton's Broad Bean Trick

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:42
by gobs
xx
Broad bean help

Started by DonnaP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 15:32
by DonnaP
xx
broad bean

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Which broad bean?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 12:27
by Snoop

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.