Is it really that time of year already?

• 4 Replies

Yana

Is it really that time of year already?
« on: October 03, 2012, 18:24 »
I've emptied one greenhouse already of tomatoes and put in pakchoi and winter salad leaves. Thinking of emptying the other one of cucumbers and peppers / chillies as the night time temps are going down and don't want to risk loosing the cues and peppers / chillies that are nearly ready to harvest.
Or .......
Should I risk it for a few more days / weeks.
I
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

allot2learn

Re: Is it really that time of year already?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 19:59 »
Get some insulation in there. Plastic sheeting, bubble wrap.............. what ever you can find/scrounge. It'll keep them going a few weeks yet.

Yana

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 21:33 »
I had to replace a few roof panes of glass in the greenhouse much earlier in the year (weight of the snow believe it or not  :blush:), and the fit was not that great. Better check all the panes and then put up insulation.
How does it affect the light getting through? I was going to say sunshine, but then realised that that would be just silly  ::)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40 »
Hoping all my (green) tomatoes make it through to the weekend. The sun is shining so the temperature in the daytime is reasonable, but it means the nights are chilly, to say the least.

Then this weekend it's a big clear-out, and an industrial-scale batch of green-tomato chutney....

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 13:33 »
I've still got rather a lot of green tomatoes in my tunnels (and small peppers and aubergines and loads of cucumbers and courgettes) and I'm undecided what to do about them. Yes, you can ripen tomatoes on a windowsill, but they're usually not very nice. Some of them go a bit petrified and they're never as sweet. I'll deffo have to bring the chilli plants inside. The good old Superchillis have pretty much ripened all their fruit, and there's been a lot of it, but I've got some lovely big habanero plants with lots of small fruit, much of which isn't grown to size and none of which has changed colour, so they'll have to live indoors.

Everything else will have to take its chances, and a lot of the plants are really a bit too big to put under hoops and fleece. It's just a cheapo polytunnel so there are drafts, but I'll have to see if I can grab some bubblewrap at the weekend and improve the insulation with that.

xx
Time

Started by Sparkyrog on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 14:59
by mumofstig
xx
First time Greenhouse

Started by OakR on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2020, 14:26
by OakR
xx
beginner help, first time greenhouse

Started by coco on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2017, 07:23
by mumofstig
xx
Night time ventilation

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 11:31
by Lardman

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 38 queries.