splitting rhubarb

• 9 Replies

dshand

splitting rhubarb
« on: March 24, 2008, 23:12 »
Hi, I am not just new to gardening I am also totally ignorant too.  Am planning to get an allotment and really would love to keep some rhubarb (for a lovely crumble). Now I have heard the phrase 'splitting rhubarb', can anyone tell me what this means and how I would do it? Or is it better to get just seeds from a retailer?
 :shock: I wish I knew a bit more but I guess that will come with experience. Well I am willing to learn and shall be patient.
I love no place in the world more than the gorgeous LAKE DISTRICT.

gobs

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 23:45 »
No, it's much easier to split, cut up with spade, or whatever you find, tough big *. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Earl Grey

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:38 »
I think the phrase refers to dividing a well established rhubarb plant into several seprate ones. You need to get a well established plant and dig it up, usually when the plan is dormant with very little growth, then just chop it into pieces with a spade etc , just ensure each piece has a decent pit of root and plenty of buds on it. You really can be quite brutal with it.
I moved a big clump on my allotment in January and replanted the best 3 pieces and there are growing nicely now.

Seed or plant depends how patient you are as seed can take a year longer than plants to get a decent crop. You can generally buy established plants from garden centres all year round. You won't need many.

dshand

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:57 »
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. This site is really absolutely brilliant!!!  :)  :)  :)

naturesparadise

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:28 »
another tip with rhubarb is in winter dig it up and let the frost get to it

for a week or so then replant and you will get sweeter rhubarb  :wink:

dshand

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 15:46 »
is that for real? let frost get to it? I would have thought that that kills it.  But you must be experienced in it and so I shall believe you.

Just got a bit of a blow - applied for an allotment but was told I could be waiting for my area up to 4 years.  - I am ready now to get digging.  Oh well, I guess to look on the bright side, I can do lots of planning and getting knowledge like this one on rhubarb.  I shall get a booklet and keep notes like that so in 4 yrs I'll be well ready.

Thank you so much for replying.

Leaf

• Experienced Member
splitting rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 20:09 »
I was told i would have to wait upto 3 years, only took 2 months, people on waiting list change there minds etc, good luck.
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

Ann

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "dshand"
is that for real? let frost get to it? I would have thought that that kills it.  But you must be experienced in it and so I shall believe you.
/quote]

When ever we move rhubarb we always dig it up and leave it lying on the ground during winter for the frost to get to it and then split and replant in the spring.

Stripey_cat

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 21:14 »
Is it too late to move?  There are some clumps on the allotment I've just taken over, and I think they were strimmed in late winter, but they're putting up new growth now.  I just want to put them all in a neat corner, rather than scattered over the middle of the plot.

naturesparadise

splitting rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 21:31 »
no you should be ok if you do it now

xx
Splitting rhubarb

Started by BrynsMum on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2022, 17:53
by Offwego
xx
Rhubarb Splitting Concerns

Started by Beloved Porcupine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 17:58
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Rhubarb Crowns - Moving and splitting

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2018, 19:35
by snowdrops
xx
Forcing/splitting rhubarb and nettle feed

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 14:57
by wendycas

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 38 queries.