Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

• 3 Replies

RichardA

« on: January 13, 2009, 15:28 »
I would appreciate advice on the following TWO questions please
 1) Are holly berries at all harmful to ducks (about to rearrange run and having learnt from the way they vandalised my kale just how far they can reach through the wire I want to be sure about letting them near holly or even if I can let the run area incorporate the holly bushes to give cover and interest to ducks)
2) Ducks not laying currently, ( 5 females -- almost one year old and each laid well till mid December, usually double yolked egg every second day per bird) -- if artificial light is beneficial then how bright does it need to be ?? No power in duck area but I have a rechargeable lantern -- will it make any diffrenece to have that on from say 16.00 to lock up at 22.00hrs.
Can I also say I love this whole webpage, its moderators and the people who chat and share and advise on it. I would suggest only one thing -- can we have a spellcheck for posters like me who are prone to slips please !!!!!!!!!!!
R

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 17:12 »
Hi Richard.

1) Don't know :?

2) Don't know :?

Would have thought that, like most animals, they will decide for themselves what they shouldn't eat. I don't think it's toxic, but then again there's a lot of surprisingly nasty plants out there. Better safe than sorry.

I'm not a fan of artificial lighting. If they take a rest, it's presumably because they need it to recharge their batteries. It must be frustrating to have to buy eggs but maybe you could sneak in an extra one or two new ones to make up for the shortfall ??  :roll:  :wink:

Hoepfully you'll get some sensible informed answers. :)

Rob 8)

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 17:25 »
Many thanks, I agree with you about letting nature take it's course and that includes rest periods. I am the veg (and building and labouring) side of this team but the wife who is the self appointed duck team leader is always full of questions !!!!!!!!
I note you are in Boston, my mother was from there originally. We will soon need 2 or 3 more POL female ducks, possibly Campbells - any good suppliers in Lincolnshire ??
R

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 17:48 »
We're not native Bostonians, but I did notice a sign for ducks along the A52 just North of Boston. No idea if they're reputable though. :?

Hopefully you'll be able to locate some to get back in full production :)

Rob 8)

xx
Ducks Will Have To Go!!!!!

Started by darrena on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 20:50
by darrena
xx
ducks

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 08:18
by Sassy
xx
ducks

Started by garycogburn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 10:38
by jamima
xx
Ducks ( maybe )

Started by Cleo on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 09:49
by Cleo

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 38 queries.