Buff orpingtons

• 9 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Buff orpingtons
« on: March 05, 2011, 17:57 »
Today I have left a depost in a trio of Buff Orpingtons - I'm so happy  :D OH is going to build a new coop for them that's why I haven't brought them home today.

Do I remember reading on here (or somewhere) that orpingtons don't tend to perch overnight because they are heavy  :unsure: or if they do, they need a perch that is lower than normal?   :unsure:

Thanks
Melody
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Buff orpingtons
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 18:24 »
My Jubilee Orps roost just fine.  Their perch is about 8" off of the ground if it helps.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 18:25 »
My orpington does sit on the lowest perch. She is a big girl and struggles to get off the ground! lol

Well done on your purchase, the orp is always the one that visitors try to stroke first!

steve

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 19:13 »
i have a very big blue orp gal that loves to try and fly like a song bird she does alright for a few secs =) but she can perch 3 foot off the ground
betty2.jpg
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

dilsdaisy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 18:46 »
My Orpington (Rita Fluffyknickers) roosts on a perch about a foot off the ground, though if she can shift Betty Brahma out of the way then she prefers the half bale of straw thats in their house at the moment ...Maggie the Light Sussex just roughs it on the floor or wherever it is the muckiest  :wacko: Al Hathaway I love your Blue Orpington ..gorgeous
1x Light Sussex, 1 x Brahma, 1x Buff Orpington, 2 x cats , 2 x guinea pigs, 4 x kids , 1 x husband

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 19:58 »
My Buff Orpingtons will go on the perch but they like to sleep in the nest boxs and they like jumping on to the bird bath to say she a big bird
dot on bird bath 01.jpg
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 20:40 »
My Buff Orpingtons will go on the perch but they like to sleep in the nest boxs and they like jumping on to the bird bath to say she a big bird

Great photo  :D

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 21:51 »
Excellent photo!  :)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52 »

the Buff is a Looker woot woot I am very fond of the bigger birds love the fluffy bums on them

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28 »
Hi I love buffs mine are not keen on roosting I did the waiting till they were sleepy and putting them on the bars but they would just jump down and go back to the nest boxes so I blocked off the boxes and they decided to sleep on the floor outside of the boxes. In the end I gave up and let them sleep in the nest boxes, they are great birds and they love to be stroked and cuddled good luck and don't forget the pics

xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by sunny side up on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 09:02
by bantam novice
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Indiana on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 13:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
buff orpingtons

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 07:02
by Jellyhead
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Susan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 23:30
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 38 queries.