Plot layout

• 4 Replies

DebbieP84

Plot layout
« on: March 11, 2008, 14:43 »
I am nearing completion of the clearance of my new plot. Does anyone have any tips or advice on the layout of my plot?
Eventually I would like to make raised beds, but need to put together an overall plan to work to or I can see it becoming an impractical use of space.
Large or small beds? What shape? Running from East to West, North to South? Are raised beds even needed?
Any tips would be most appreciated!
Thanks

Stripey_cat

Plot layout
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:43 »
Don't make the beds (raised or normal) wider than you can reach into the middle of!  The previous owner of my parents house built a big raised bed about 2m wide, and you have to climb into it to get at the stuff in the centre.

I'd go for north-to-south orientation: that way the beds won't shade each other too much.

If your soil is good, you won't need raised beds, but you may find them easier to work if you have trouble bending or squatting.  If your soil is very heavy, raised beds with lighter soil will let you grow things like carrots that like well-drained, rich soil.

compostqueen

Plot layout
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:24 »
my beds are 4 foot wide so I can reach em from either side. Saves walking on em.  I have a mixture of raised, not raised, Link a bord, builders rubble sacks, a round bed, cos mine's evolved rather than being started from a blank page.

Impractical possibly but I'm not very organised  :oops:

DebbieP84

Plot layout
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:39 »
Luckily at a mere 23 I have no trouble bending/squatting etc., but I do have a very heavy clay soil, which I would like to grow carrots/parsnips etc in so I think I will have to go for a few raised beds at least! And it will keep the fiance out of trouble building them!

Unlike compostqueen I have a desire to be very well organised and therefore am busy constructing a 'plan'! However I think character is achieved through disorgnasiation so I may leave an area blank for future inpiration!

compostqueen

Plot layout
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:35 »
Yeah leave a bit to chance  :D

xx
irrigation layout

Started by BussinSpain on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 20:12
by mumofstig
xx
Suggested layout / bed size

Started by puravida on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 12:06
by snow white
xx
Compost bins layout query

Started by savbo on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 20:13
by waddecar
xx
new plot...new greenhouse

Started by joiner on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 04:57
by fuzzy1983

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.