On giving up 'The Patch'...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

On giving up 'The Patch'...
« on: October 18, 2018, 18:32 »
Funny really...

There are so many gardening jobs to do back at 'The Turrets', I don't know where to start!

It's Autumn, and the front garden needs a damn good seeing to, with several shrubs and plants in need of a prune or even better...

I've re-organised the coal shed to house the big mower and the shredder; serviced the hand mower ( a little push machine which is a delight), forgotten the tomatoes as we have just had enough!

But the hot tap in the bathroom has seized up, so the plumber is coming around next week (great chap Mum, from Rolvenden Lane if you need someone), and I've just come back from the cherideeeee shop with a load of toys for tots!

I might just pop round to the Parish Office and see if there's a half-plot going..:0...

Nope!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 18:32 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: On giving up 'The Patch'...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:22 »
 :lol: :lol:
Yes time does always fill up with a list of things to do, doesn't it...
I like to spend all the warmer months on the plot (while I still can manage  ::)) or in the garden - but as soon as the weather changes - all the indoor jobs suddenly appear on my list ;)
Hopefully I'll get some of those done this year....
As Churchill famously said, 'Keep beggaring on'  ;)

madcat

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:26 »
It is like giving up work - somehow the space gets filled and you end up wondering how you ever managed to find time to earn a living!   :ohmy: ::) :lol:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:35 »
It's our 46th Wanniv on Sunday, so we're celebrating by...

...putting up cupboards for a daught, and getting some fish and chips from a super place in Marden (Kebab Fish Knight - you may know it Mum, it's a great place although we aren't, and won't ever be kebabbers!

So that's Sunday gone for a burton!

And, I've even had to consider getting rid of my Growsterbuilt wheel hoe, as the only place to use it now is in the drive :(0

Decisions, decisions...

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 14:26 »
Mr G is doing something similar. Due to ill-health he can't do what he used to, so the garage and other cluttered-up areas are having a good going-over with a steely eye. Currently we've got a bonfire going nicely in the field (ok folks, we're out in the sticks with no near neighbours) and there's a medium skip in the drive for un-burnable items and other un-wanted stuff, plus our farmer friend next door is coming to see if he wants any of our redundant tools. Yo - what a good feeling! 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

al78

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 17:51 »
It is like giving up work - somehow the space gets filled and you end up wondering how you ever managed to find time to earn a living!   :ohmy: ::) :lol:

That is an easy one to answer. Likelihood is once retired your pace of life slow down, so you take longer to do things, the time coming from the time freed up by not earning a living. You don't notice yourself slowing down because it is gradual, but everyone else does  :D.

I look at how slow some people move and wonder how on earth they get anything done in a day.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 18:38 »
In our village Goosey, we have some regular visits from the council to collect big rubbish. It's always on a Sunday, so we can plan ahead for serious stuff. But what I like, is that a scrap metal man also parks nearby, and he's a godsend, as he cheerfully takes anything metal, and once picked up our old cooker from home for nothing!

I really like the guy, we always have a chat, and he's better off as of last weekend with a load of old tin stuff and metal baking rays etc!

Catharsis is the word!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 18:40 »
Al78 - it may be slow, but the benefits are more enjoyment over much more time..;0)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 12:01 »
Growster you are so right... letting go of things you no longer need in your life is indeed cathartic!! I know when we drive away from our local Tip, or the charity shop, I feel lighter and brighter for leaving things behind which had no place in our lives any more

Come the Spring you will miss The Patch a bit perhaps, but you will be able to grow some veggies at home and re-organising the garden is  whole project in itself now, isn't it?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 15:34 »
In our village Goosey, we have some regular visits from the council to collect big rubbish. It's always on a Sunday, so we can plan ahead for serious stuff. But what I like, is that a scrap metal man also parks nearby, and he's a godsend, as he cheerfully takes anything metal, and once picked up our old cooker from home for nothing! I really like the guy, we always have a chat, and he's better off as of last weekend with a load of old tin stuff and metal baking rays etc! Catharsis is the word!
You're very lucky that your council is so generous as I've just paid £30 to have three large electrical items taken away! As for catharsis, due to having too much stuff in too small a place it's more like catheterisation!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 17:24 »
"re-organising the garden is  whole project in itself now, isn't it?"

You're so right Sunny!

We've realised that we have used just half a dozen cucumbers this year, and you know well, that they are expensive - usually seven packets of seed, (to try and get just one to germinate), a ton of compost, a night vigil in case of frost, a compost heap of failures, loads of chums eventually saying 'oooooooh thankyou' (eyes rolling), and it works out that Mrs Growster's three slices a week cost about £3 each! It's crazy, so they're off the list now!

Today was final tomato clearance day, and my instructions are to grow far less than the thirty-eight plants we did this year...

But I will grow courgettes, behind a huge mahonia, in a growbag, well away from prying eyes!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 17:36 »
"due to having too much stuff in too small a place it's more like catheterisation!  :lol:"

I have never thought of the job as keyhole surgery, Goosey, but now you come to mention it...

Funnily enough, I was considering looking at previous posts for square foot gardening, so great minds an' that!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 23:08 »
"due to having too much stuff in too small a place it's more like catheterisation!  :lol:"

I have never thought of the job as keyhole surgery, Goosey, but now you come to mention it...

Funnily enough, I was considering looking at previous posts for square foot gardening, so great minds an' that!

:lol: :lol:

xx
Emoji on here, giving up using them

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 13:55
by mrs bouquet
xx
Giving up my allotment.

Started by miggs on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 16:48
by Growster...
xx
What is the plot giving you for Christmas?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 23:45
by snowdrops
xx
Giving Nature a Helping Hand

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2019, 17:24
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 49 queries.