Preparing Plot For Next Year

• 7 Replies

Jabba2006

« on: September 06, 2007, 23:42 »
Hi Everyone,
                   As this has been my first year, I haven't had a lot of luck so have now decided to prepare for next year but need to know a couple of things first.

Does manure actually do anything ? If so, are chicken manure pellets any good ?

Do I dig in compost now or am I better waiting till closer the time of planting ?

Are there any tricks or tips to keeping slugs & snails away ? I have been sprinkling slug & snail pellets but find they don't last that long & are quiet expensive.

Thanks for any help..
Jarrod

Brighton,
East Sussex.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27 »
ok jabba .heres what i am doing .as your new to tye plot i am gonna suggest you start as it being  complete new ground . divide the plot into 3 for a rotation system

section 1 we will designate on your rotation plant as year 1 . now start at the top and get loads of manure compost etc  dig a trench like in the pictures below and folow it through right to the border line of plot section 2

now leave this ground till spring dont worry if the weeds come we can tackle them later ...this section will contain cabbage types ( brassica's ) or potatos  if you intend to put potaos on it .dont put lime on it .if you want only brassicas then lime it 1oz to sq yard

now section 2  we will designate this section as year 2 the middle section . you can get this ground ready for spring by digging it over in a single trench method .take the first spit of soil and take it to the other end of section 2 and just lay it there for now or .now dig the soil over taking each spit into the gap created from spit 1. do this all the way to section 1
section 3 we designate as year 3 in the rotation programme . you can use artificial fertilisers for both section 2  and 3  . dig this section over as for section 2 .now leave that rough as before . come spring you can plant cabbages etc or potatos on section 1 and roots etc on 2 and choose what other things such as salads you want on 3 .. the folowing winter you move the new manuring down to section 2 .then to section 3 the following year .moving the plants that like that particular enviroment each time .. hope this helps .now others may have other suggestions and iu would take a balanced choice of them
still alive /............

WG.

Re: Preparing Plot For Next Year
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 10:51 »
Quote from: "Jabba2006"

Good advice from munty there.

To answer your questions directly.  Chicken manure pellets add short-term fertility.  Manure is MUCH better since it also adds humus to improve soil structure, water retention and medium/long-term fertility.

Slugs & snails : I just keep at them with slug pubs.  Pellets certainly work if you prefer.

muntjac

Re: Preparing Plot For Next Year
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Jabba2006"

Good advice from munty there.

To answer your questions directly.  Chicken manure pellets add short-term fertility.  Manure is MUCH better since it also adds humus to improve soil structure, water retention and medium/long-term fertility.

oooops fergot that bit .nice save WG :wink:

Jabba2006

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:14 »
Hi Muntjac,

My plot is in my garden & is only about 15 foot by 20 foot.
 Would I have enough room to grow things if it split into 3 ?

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:29 »
ah ..ok dig the lot over n manure it all .grow tatties in tubs or bin bags etc ..grow carrots in tubs as well use it for growing cabbages n other top things this next year the following year you can plant a couple rows carrots or ? :wink:

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 00:01 »
Hi,  At what stage would you add the fretilizers to 2 and 3? Now or next year?

Thanks,

Mark

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 00:42 »
when your planting out and during growing :wink:

xx
Preparing plot for next year

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 15:08
by crh75
xx
Preparing brassica bed for next year!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 18:21
by pigguns
xx
Preparing to grow toms after blight last year?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 15:55
by DD.
xx
Help with preparing the plot for winter.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 18:00
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 39 queries.