Onion leaves turning yellow

• 7 Replies

trogg

Onion leaves turning yellow
« on: June 20, 2010, 07:27 »
Hi all, I think I might have a problem with my onions,
the leaves on about half a dozen of them have turned yellow, and one or two have gone brown  :(

I pulled one of them up and found the bulb was starting to rot (outer skin moist and came off when touched)

Apart from onion fly or diseases all I can think of is I had a relative come down to visit me and her rather large puppy decided to trample all over my onion bed, I pushed the uprooted onions back into the ground.

I'm hoping it was just the dog and not something more sinister  :mellow:
boing boing

plot6b

Re: Onion leaves turning yellow
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58 »
I hope I'm wrong but it could be White Rot. Is there white fluffy mould around your Onions?

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:08 »
Onions don't like having their roots disturbed, so it might have been the dog.  Also, how often are you watering them?  They don't need to be watered as regularly as your other crops as this can cause various rots, only water them when the soil is really dried out.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 13:58 »
Speaking from experience this is almost certainly white rot. There is no cure for it, and you need to plan carefully where you plant onions next year.

Burn the onions and remove all the soil from the growing area. Check your other plants by gently tugging them. If they come out of the ground easily they too will have have white rot. If they remain firm in the ground they are OK for the time being.

Expect the other onions to become infected and  if the infection does become serious, lift your crop early. As they dry check them regulary because the white rot can still occur.

My remedy this year was the dig out all the soil from the proposed onion bed and restock with compost and manure. So far I have a good crop. This time last year I had white rot and was losing about six plants each week.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 19:20 »
I hope I'm wrong but it could be White Rot. Is there white fluffy mould around your Onions?

Please could you answer this question before we can decide on a diagnosis?

Pictures would help too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 19:24 »
I agree with Yorkie, let`s get all the facts first. :D

trogg

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:13 »
Thanks for your replies so far, to be honest I didn't really look for disease but I am going down to the allotment later (with my camera) so I'll have a closer look.

The onions have been watered almost every day, I thought they needed plenty of water  ???  and they are planted very close to each other, so if they have got some sort of disease it looks like I'll lose the lot  :(

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 22:59 »
Thanks for your replies so far, to be honest I didn't really look for disease but I am going down to the allotment later (with my camera) so I'll have a closer look.

The onions have been watered almost every day, I thought they needed plenty of water  ???  and they are planted very close to each other, so if they have got some sort of disease it looks like I'll lose the lot  :(

If you watered every day that may well be the cause of the rotting! Hope its that and nothing more sinister!! :)

xx
Beetroot leaves turning yellow

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:35
by Trillium
xx
Pumpkin leaves turning yellow???

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 16:49
by Sid
xx
potato leaves turning yellow

Started by caro810 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 21:52
by Lulu
xx
beetroot leaves have spots and are turning yellow

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 18:03
by starry

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 38 queries.