manure and lime

• 12 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
manure and lime
« on: January 29, 2012, 19:54 »
I know this has been discussed before, but I've searched the FAQ and done a search but nothing came up.
I have a heap of very old manure on my inherited allotment (I don't know how old but at least 8 years I'm told). At the moment it's in a heap where my brassicas are going to go. I have shifted a lot of it over to the potato patch, but whatever is left I will be spreading over the cabbage patch, but I also want to lime the area. How long should I leave the manure before liming?
Rachael

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: manure and lime
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 20:03 »
Ideally you would add well rotted manure to where you were going to grow brassicas in the autumn, and then lime in the spring.

This is because the two togtehr cause an adverse reacton in the soil.

Personally I would use any surplus after dealing the the potato patch for squashes and beans/ peas  now, rather than cabbages.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TheSpartacat

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 20:34 »
Me too... squashes, beans and sweetcorn will all thank you for it

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 21:57 »
I know this has been discussed before, but I've searched the FAQ and done a search but nothing came up.

Don't know what you put in as your search words but searching for "manure and lime" in just the GYO board brought up 10 pages of replies! (Best to keep searches short and simple even if they don't form a proper phrase or sentence - forum search engines ain't as smart as wot Gurgle is!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 22:01 »
Make sure you click Search near the top links, rather than just putting it into the search box top right - as that will limit where the search is carried out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34 »
Well that's odd. I just did the search again now and got masses of results. Don't know what I did wrong/differently yesterday.
The problem is that the manure is already there in the brassica bed, but I guess I could just go back to the drawing board with my crop rotation plan, seeing as nothing has gone in yet anyway.
Thanks

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 21:50 »
Lots of people just add lime to the planting hole for brassicas - maybe worth a try?

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 22:18 »
Lots of people just add lime to the planting hole for brassicas - maybe worth a try?

I've never thought of that. How much? Also, has anyone had success or poor results using this method? Also again, is this recommended for all of the family including sprouts? I'm having troube with sprouts.

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55 »
i did it for all my brasicas, including sprouts, and had a fantastic harvest, and still am.
i put half a hand full of lime in each hole from plants i started in  the greenhouse and then hardened in the cold frame giving them a strong root system before planting.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 13:26 »
It seemed to work for me - I have very acid soil up on the plot, but to change the ph of a whole section would be uneconomical, so I just add an unscientific small handful (small hands here!) to the hole as I plant out each of my brassica seedlings - sprouts included! I'm still harvesting brassicas planted last year, so something must have worked!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 14:15 »

I have a heap of very old manure on my inherited allotment (I don't know how old but at least 8 years I'm told)  How long should I leave the manure before liming?

Given the age of the manure pile, I wouldn't have thought the liming issue would be that great TBH.  Most of the acidic components have most likely been washed away by now.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 15:26 »
It seemed to work for me - I have very acid soil up on the plot, but to change the ph of a whole section would be uneconomical, so I just add an unscientific small handful (small hands here!) to the hole as I plant out each of my brassica seedlings - sprouts included! I'm still harvesting brassicas planted last year, so something must have worked!
Just wondering whereabouts in Rugby your plot is Kajazy?

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 15:35 »
Actually in Kilsby!

xx
Manure and lime

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 19:12
by WG.
xx
Manure or lime

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 11:44
by sunshineband
xx
Lime / manure

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 19:32
by JayG
xx
Manure & Lime

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:47
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.