Mareks disease

• 3 Replies

minniebantam

Mareks disease
« on: March 08, 2010, 19:10 »
Hi to all, wondered if anyone had experienced mareks disease in their flock. I lost a young game bird and now worrying about my other birds as I read it is contagious. I have cleaned all around and been putting Citrocidal in the drinking water. The Vet diagnosed it and said there was no prevention for the other birds. Any help appreciated.

Thanks  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Mareks disease
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 20:41 »
Marek's Disease is highly contagious and as your vet said it is not treatable. 
If the diseased bird was kept with your other birds it is likely that they will have contracted it. 

The virus can stay in the environment for well over a year so the land and housing the bird was in may contain it and should be thoruoghly cleansed and dissinfected.

Commercial flocks are vaccinated against it.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 15:42 »
you have my sympathy.
i bought 6 chucks last year from a breeder when i started to keep chucks he  said all were vaccinated, i have lost 5 of those to mareks, and i bought 3 more last october and have lost 2 of those, the last of the 3 does not look good.
i really dont know what to do next, apart from give up all together

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 13:03 »
As you probably now know this is can be a very serious problem and you are going to be in the hands of the gods re your other birds.  You should not add any new birds to your flock nor breed from them or let them off your property for fear that they may spread this disease.  Practise good personal hygeine and biosecurity methods (do some research if you want to know how) so you don't spread it if you visit other keepers or they visit you.  

It's a disease which can lay dormant for a long period and be triggered by bouts of stress so try to avoid heat stress, other diseases or any major disturbances.

You can add Vanodine V10 (an iodine based disinfectant) to drinking water but as Mareks is a virus you need one which is effective against viruses so maybe your vet can advise.  It might help initially if this one bird was the sole source but longer term you will just have to hope your disinfection has been effective and your other birds have some resistance and just trust to luck.  You could be lucky and only time will tell.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 13:11 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Mareks disease or not?

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 22:22
by barley
xx
Help!!! Could it be Mareks disease?

Started by flocko on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 17:31
by cheekymouse
sad
Mareks Disease watching

Started by Whitebeam on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 19:19
by joyfull
xx
Mareks

Started by T C on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 16:34
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 38 queries.