The trepidation of planting out.

• 6 Replies

viettaclark

The trepidation of planting out.
« on: May 22, 2017, 15:05 »
Well....the brussels, cabbages and psb are looking at me and I really should be planting them out in the beds to get slobbered by slugs, chomped by caterpillars and pecked by pigeons. My anxiety is great. :(
I can net, no problem, but it's the slugs really.
I've got two beds of garlic with wide spaced rows. Has anyone, by any chance, planted brassicas between garlic? Can it defend the poor cabbages against the slobberers?

madcat

Re: The trepidation of planting out.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 15:29 »
I know what you mean ....  it is like first day at the big school for them.  You have cared for them all through primary, but now they have to go out in the big wide world. 

And no, I dont think the bulbs can.  But I have cooked up the cloves and made an effective spray for hostas after seeing it on the TV once.  That worked and I had magnificant hostas.  http://www.garden.ie/post.aspx?id=2864&idpost=30962  But it was a hassle because it did need to be renewed after a good rain.

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 19:56 »
"I know what you mean ....  it is like first day at the big school for them."

Best comment for ages!

;0)

We all do it, and fret all night, don't we!

Blast, I'll have to go out and check them all yet again now..:0]

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 20:10 »
Try boiling rhubarb leaves and spraying the stinky solution on works against cabbage whites and pigeons not too keen
pipfit

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:16 »
Try boiling rhubarb leaves and spraying the stinky solution on works against cabbage whites and pigeons not too keen
pipfit

Hahaha.. when i had my lottie i did this... me and my mate sat boiling leaves in front of the hut. Behind the hut they had just finished building some luxury flats and the first occupants had just moved in.
I heard a couple on their balcony commenting on the smell (they could not see us) and she told him to ring the agent as the drains must be blocked.
It really did stink bad.    But it worked a treat on the brassicas.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:53 »
 :D

We once made black jack (jollop) out of sheep muck. The stench was not surprisingly horrendous. We shouldn't even be discussing concoctions on here or we'll get kicked out  8)

I have to sit on my hands planting out wise as we get late frosts so leave tender things til the last minute.

My main trepidation though is caused by cats!  Although they are great at sorting out the rat in the compost bin and mice there is a Krapton Factor cat that keeps breaching my defences. I can't imagine why he/she goes to such lengths to beat my defences when there are hundreds of other suitable places to go to the lav. We scratch our heads at the length puss goes to  :D 

al78

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58 »
My main trepidation though is caused by cats!  Although they are great at sorting out the rat in the compost bin and mice there is a Krapton Factor cat that keeps breaching my defences. I can't imagine why he/she goes to such lengths to beat my defences when there are hundreds of other suitable places to go to the lav. We scratch our heads at the length puss goes to  :D

Cats are far from the most intelligent creatures on the planet. My fathers cat seems to think that lying across one of the stairs is the best place to relax, despite me accidentally standing on her once, and that there are vastly better places to curl up. Or she believes that whining for some better food after her bowl is filled up will succeed, even though it hasn't worked since the day she arrived in the house.

xx
Planting out

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 21:07
by Jackypam
xx
Planting out, what, when?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 17:33
by SnooziSuzi
xx
under planting

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 14:16
by flutemaster
xx
planting out?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:55
by Bluedave

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.