When Do They Start Laying Again?

• 17 Replies

Mr R Design

When Do They Start Laying Again?
« on: November 14, 2016, 16:21 »
I have had no eggs from my 3 little blighters for almost a month.

When do they start laying again under natural conditions? (i.e. without any electrical lighting setups)

grinling

Re: When Do They Start Laying Again?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 16:51 »
depends on the age and type of the hen.
Mine have so far taken 2 months, but Sprout has feathered up and started going red again......I'm hoping soon, she is about 4, whereas Buey who is 5 has just started.
The younger ones who are 2 are really slow.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:52 »
The irritating but true answer is when they are ready! Mine used to start laying about Christmas, but I know a lot would not start again til Feb/March. Mine were pure breeds which take longer off than hybrids. It will be worth the wait :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snow white

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 13:43 »
My older hens stop after their August moult and do not lay again until spring time, about March.  My younger one is still laying.

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 16:20 »
My oldies are moulting and that coincides with them going,off lay due to low light conditions, they will start again in early Feb (hopefully).  Two new hens just started laying and should go through the winter this first year.  Hope they all moult at the same time again next year so that I just miss out on eggs for a couple of months or so.

Eggs usually rationed over winter to try to eke out the stash (they seem to stay fresh for well over a month), as I hate buying eggs!

Beekissed

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 16:01 »
Usually Feb/Mar they will ramp up to another laying cycle.  Some precocious girls will start in January. 

RubyR3d

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 21:28 »
Wow, sorry to be different but my 7 warrens are between 18 months and 3 years old and keep laying all through the winter. I have 4 every day. Just bog standard hybrids not your too posh to push birds lol :tongue2:

Beekissed

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 19:22 »
Some birds will continue on through the winter at a reduced rate and some don't slow down at all, but burn out early in their lives.  But, by and large, those that stop for winter usually resume by Feb.   Usually if I have any BAs not molting when winter hits, they will lay on through the winter months. 

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:46 »
Be they pure breeds or hybrids hens are born with the number of eggs they are going to lay. Hybrids generally lay loads per year but do not live very long, pure breeds don't lay so many per year but can lay for years.  :)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 23:14 »
I think I must be really lucky or doing something right as mine lay every day :). Pecky my dodgy eyed bent toed speckled lays every day for 12 then has a day off whatever the weather, Babs the Barred Rock is every other day and Hen who was always a 12 eggs and a day off, is now say two or three a week. Mine are let out every afternoon, let on the lawn maybe twice a week for 20 minutes, a handfull of hentastik each day between them and a sprinkle of corn at bed time. Every day the coops are checked and poop removed, food topped up. I use Smallholders Layer Pellets. Now both dotties are sharing, the Eglu coop is a bit more messy, Pecky was a very tidy bird 8) Oh another thing I change the water every day, and if frozen replace with tepid tap water. I have made two drinkers for the Dotties out of plastic butter tubs, Lurpak, and have mounted these with garden wire to the run sides. I keep two spare in the house so first thing in the morning I can do a quick change without getting my birds too excited :lol: Hen has her own food and drinker which never freezes over :)
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 23:38 »
What breed and how old Danfinn? 

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 10:13 »
Just spent the last two hours securing the large run from wild birds due to the avian flu alert.  So no chance of mixing now until January!

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 22:10 »
Well wouldn't you know it :blush: No eggs today, a blank, nil, nothing :(

We did have three yesterday, and one or two before, so this is not usual, and now they got to be penned up all the time that will not help. :(

My birds are "Hen" Collumbian black tail nearly 3, "Pecky" say 8 months Speckledy, "Babs" Barred Rock say 5 months the new ones are not moulting and hen loses a few feathers here and there but has never lost a lot, in fact the back of her neck is getting spikey now as the feathers are getting old.

Mr R Design

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 07:23 »
Assuming that 'Hen' is 3 years old and not 3 months I think that she has now stopped laying totally until next year and Pecky and Babs have had a day off.

Last winter was my three's first winter and they layed all the way through, it is this winter, their second, that they have stopped.

Fingers crossed you will get some thing today and if you do I suspect it will be from Pecky or Babs (or even both).

Other than that you need to go Sainsburys, they are just as nice. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 18:46 »
Well folks I'm delighted to say I had 3 eggs today, they all did me proud :D Yes Hen is coming up 3 years old and good as ever :). She has always been a good layer, but like her late sisters Beryl and Sandy gives a very thin shell. Pecky and Babs give a much thicker shell and you have to hit them hard with the knife to break. I did think I was feeding them wrong but now believe it is the bird at fault.

Talking to a farmer last year and she was over the moon that her hens just ket going.

Here in the centre of England we are spared most times from rough weather, and since I have been keeping hens (May 2014) the ground has been mainly very dry. Up until September I had to get the hose out to keep our bit of lawn green for my hens

xx
when do they start laying?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 19:12
by woodside farm
xx
When will they start laying?!

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 16:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
When will they start laying?

Started by thestens on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 10:59
by New shoot
xx
When DO they start laying?

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 22:07
by Vember

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.