Hayter harrier inconsistent revving

• 13 Replies

occamoo

Hayter harrier inconsistent revving
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:35 »
Hi,

The engine on my hayter harrier has started to rev inconsistently, it significantly revs up and down.  I think its called loping or hunting?

At first i thought it was the governor linkage as it 'sways' with the engine revs, i'd wondered if it was the spring on it, now i'm not so sure, i'm wondering if it is the mixture.

Anyone had any experience of this, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Paul

Flatcat

Re: Hayter harrier inconsistent revving
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:28 »
Does the engine cut out at all after a short while?

Have you checked the fuel system? if it is not getting enough fuel to the engine, then it can cause the engine to do this, also the adjustment screws on the carb may need a tweak until it runs right (but check the fuel first)

Damon

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:45 »
Does the engine cut out at all after a short while?

Have you checked the fuel system? if it is not getting enough fuel to the engine, then it can cause the engine to do this, also the adjustment screws on the carb may need a tweak until it runs right (but check the fuel first)

Following on from this reply, Depending on the engine fitted (and WHICH model of Harrier) the fuel system has no filters at all, so any "muck" that gets into the fuel tank eventually ends up at the lowest point, which on most of the newer type of Hayter Harriers is the main jet.
This is the brass 13mm headed nut that you will find on the bottom of the carb (behind the air filter)
Shut of the fuel by clamping the pipe or draining the tank, unscrew the brass nut, and you will see that it has a hole at the bottom of the threads and a hole in the centre. Blow this clean,, refit, and you ought to find it will now run correctly. :)

occamoo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:22 »
Thanks, it doesn't cut out at all, its almost like the throttle is just constantly being opened and closed almost drom tickover to full throttle every couple of seconds.

I'll clean out the carb and twiddle the mixtures if it still does it.

Thanks,

Paul

huntingagain

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 14:41 »
Hi Paul, I'm having the same problem with my haiter, had it into authorised dealer twice and they say that its a problem they cannot always fix. Apparantely Haiter have made the mixture so lean to cut down on emissions that even machines new out of the box have the same problem. I have been in contact with Haiter but they wont admit too the cause of the fault.
I also own a 25yr old Harrier and it still runs like a dream, why change things, its not as if we're going to go a hundred miles down the motorway with them ! ! Emissions my foot.
If you come up with a solution let me know, I'll do likewise, mabye we should change to a honda :(

Donny

occamoo

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 20:52 »
Hi,

I'm sorry i should have updated the solution i found..

It turned out to just be the mixture too lean, the solution was just to open the mixture screw on the side of the carb half a turn.

Simples!

Best mower i've ever had now.

Good luck..

Paul

Belgarion

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 18:30 »
Just a point for any problems like this, You Tube can be very useful,  I was having big problems with my Mantis ( or rather my Wife's) and after a couple of searches I found a Vid that sorted it out.

arranpilot

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 20:05 »
Hello Paul (Occamoo),

This is a great topic, and I am hoping you are still a forum member.  I have exactly the same problem with my Hayter Harrier 41.  It does not stop on me, but it 'hunts' - revs up and down all on its own even when not under any load.  It does seem to use a lot of juice as well, but I think that's what Hayter's do.  It has also become a little tricky to start when warm (fine from cold) - I guess the two are related.  One thing though - my spark plug is very black.  Does this not suggest that the mixture is too rich, so is the adjustment I need to go the other way?  I have checked air filter and fuel cap - seem to be fine.  I will twiddle with the mixture screw, and see what happens.  Thx again, Mike.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:23 »
Hello Paul (Occamoo),

This is a great topic, and I am hoping you are still a forum member. 

He hasn't left, but he hasn't logged in since last September. Someone else may well be able to help you though if he isn't looking. ;)

Welcome. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29 »
Try winding it out (ant-clockwise) by a 1/4 of a turn

Dopey113

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37 »
Theres a great Youtube vid about taking your carb out and cleaning it (and how to put it back again!!) link for you its in 2 parts

Not a valid youtube URLI-dkqIdv9GEfeature=player_detailpage

I think yours is a B&S 3.5HP? Take the plug out and have a look at it, if its black soot on it, its running too rich.... it tell you in the vid how to adjust it as well
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:40 by Dopey113 »
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Dopey113

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 16:03 »
Ha I just found out what it could be, its the gasket in the carb letting air though it, some briggs and strattons (depending what model..... but I dont thing yours has a screw to adjust it, or the revs, anyway the gasket should cost no more than £3 and its and easy job.... I say easy just going to do mine now!!

Dopey113

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 13:53 »
Did mine, very easy job to do I changed the gasket (just £2.30) and got a new air filter too when I got the gasket £3.50 job took about 20 mins to do, changed the oil, spark plug, and sharpened the blade... its about 15 years old and it runs like new now, and its not hunting any more... so it must have been the gasket

If you ever get a problem with the string ( on the pull start) not going back in to the mower (like I had) thats an easy fix as well about 15 min job

Derrickathome

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 18:47 »
I've just fixed mine. It seemed unlikely that the engine would suddenly need a new mixture setting and Gwiz is quite correct. All the muck from the tank accumulates in the carburettor bowl and is sucked into the jet. I took off the carb, which was relatively easy, to get at the bowl but it may be possible to remove it in-situ. It runs perfectly now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 18:51 by Derrickathome »

question
Hayter Harrier

Started by maransbantam on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 07:03
by Swed
xx
Hayter Harrier 41 Autodrive

Started by dmacvee on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 21:08
by jezza
xx
Hayter Harrier 41 Autodrive

Started by ryanb87 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2019, 19:40
by jezza
exclamation
Hayter Harrier 48 problems

Started by pointer on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 23:44
by jezza

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 34 queries.