How to repair a run down shed

• 3 Replies

Steerpike

« on: January 06, 2007, 10:53 »
Hi

I have inherited a large and sturdy shed with my plot. It looks to be structurally sound and well made. It's made from reclaimed billboards and advertising boards. The wood is therefore some kind of plywood - smooth planed. It doesnt look to have been treated at all and it looks a bit rotten in some places.

The roof is sloping to the rear and there is guttering in place. The roof is felted but it looks a bit ragged.

Inside is reasonably dry but damp in certain corners.

I am a complete novice and want to restore the shed to make it as dry and weatherproofed as possible. Can anyone recommend some good products for restoring and protecting smooth planed wood/ damp proofing/ felting? I want to make it nice inside as well so any advice on inner protection would be useful.

Thanks

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:46 »
i would be inclined to use bitumastic paint and felt the whole thing .run the strips of felt lengthways across the roof after you have done the same with the sides starting at the bottom and over lapping the next strip over the previos one .then run the roof felt slightly over the rear edge into the gutter use 1/2 felt tacks to secure it and maybe some battens for extra strength paint the battens with bitumin on one side before nailing and then paint the top and sides it wont hurt if you run the paint down the gap between the felt and the wood.. someone else may have another idea to help you
still alive /............

noshed

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 13:25 »
You might be able to get away with just felting the roof and treating the walls after fixing any obvious rotten bits. What is the floor like? You don't want to put your foot through if you can help it - might need looking at. If you use treated wood, use it to make the floor sound. The walls could be mended with pallet wood and treated - Homebase do a quite cheap fence preserver which comes in quite a pleasant green and doesn't smell (don't know how good it is though.)
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

apywell

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 18:58 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i would be inclined to use bitumastic paint and felt the whole thing .run the strips of felt lengthways across the roof after you have done the same with the sides starting at the bottom and over lapping the next strip over the previos one .then run the roof felt slightly over the rear edge into the gutter use 1/2 felt tacks to secure it and maybe some battens for extra strength paint the battens with bitumin on one side before nailing and then paint the top and sides it wont hurt if you run the paint down the gap between the felt and the wood.. someone else may have another idea to help you

Saw this exact paint and felt in Wilkos this afternoon....  Just what I need for the repair of my shed.....
Committee member and Treasurer. Oh and maintain our website.....

xx
diy Repair

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Repair or replace or do without?

Started by Paul Plots on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 16:45
by Paul Plots
clip
Repair of polytunnel

Started by StarterKay on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 30, 2024, 16:57
by rowlandwells
xx
Howard GEM in repair and mending need

Started by Swed on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 15:15
by Swed

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 34 queries.